Possible Gender Please 😞

Actually, you probably wouldn’t want to keep a cockerel if you have kids. Roosters are mean, and no matter how sweet they are as baby’s, wait for their hormones to kick in. It can get pretty ugly.

That isn't true for the most part. While there are roosters that can be absolute monsters, more of them are behaved for the most part. Heck, I have 10, soon to be almost 20 when I decide on keepers and none are aggressive

That isn't true for the most part. While there are roosters that can be absolute monsters, more of them are behaved for the most part. Heck, I have 10, soon to be almost 20 when I decide on keepers and none are aggressive
Yes, I realize now that that had been a little harsh... (though they said they can’t keep cockerels)
I just wouldnt want to risk it, especially if there are young kids.

I don’t have cockerels because (a) can’t keep them, and (b) I’ve had some pretty bad experiences with roosters. But now I feel bad about how harsh that had originally sounded. Please forgive me. :)

Yes, I realize now that that had been a little harsh... (though they said they can’t keep cockerels)

I don’t have cockerels because (a) can’t keep them, and (b) I’ve had some pretty bad experiences with roosters. But now I feel bad about how harsh that had originally sounded. Please forgive me. :)
Okay. I hadn't noticed the post before mine about the same thing. I just wanted to make it clear that not every male will be a terror

Ok, but they already said they can’t keep cockerels. Sorry, I just have had some really bad experiences with roosters.

No worries. I just wanted to make sure nobody reading this thread gets the wrong idea about roosters, because they really can be super sweet. :D

Again, I’m really sorry for my comments. I’ve just had some bad experiences with roosters (like when I was taking care of someone else’s chickens while they were on vacation and they had the meanest rooster ever (attacked me every time I went in) and I had to carry a rake.

They also had two hens to one rooster ratio. I hope the hens weren’t getting over breeded. :idunno

Again, I’m really sorry for my comments. I’ve just had some bad experiences with roosters (like when I was taking care of someone else’s chickens while they were on vacation and they had the meanest rooster ever (attacked me every time I went in) and I had to carry a rake.

They also had two hens to one rooster ratio. I hope the hens weren’t getting over breeded. :idunno
I apologize. The thread wasn’t updated when I posted that and I see it was already addressed. The one rooster that did give us trouble was a mean one lol. One of us boys would have to walk our mom to church and to the car when he was out until he cut up my dads leg and then he made the dumpling pot.

@YogaMom
With the up close daytime pics, I'm leaning to cockerel now...but not slam dunk.

That's a lot of comb for 6 weeks...you can see 3 rows of peas...which often (not always) but often means cockerel in the pea combed variety. Girls have one main row down the middle and tiny hedge rows on each side.

But take time to assess. Brahmas mature slowly. If not much more comb development happens, and no sickle feathers begin in the tail, or saddle feathers on the back, it could be a slightly precocious female.

But keep prepared it could be a rooster. And yeah....I have had mean roosters and nice ones. I determine at about 12 to 16 weeks of age which go and which stay. I keep 2 very sweet roosters that are fine around people, even children, but I would never ever leave a child alone with a farm animal.

So watch the temperament, and if it is sweet (many Brahma are), you'll know because you can pick it up and it will just surrender (with maybe a mild squawk of surprise at the first). The nasty ones want to bite your hand off or attack your face. You don't need to coddle or cuddle. Just pick it up once or twice and watch its reaction. It should also move out of your way without "standing off" ground or trying to run and butt.

Never keep an aggressive rooster. There are plenty of sweet ones to do the job.

LofMc

@YogaMom
With the up close daytime pics, I'm leaning to cockerel now...but not slam dunk.

That's a lot of comb for 6 weeks...you can see 3 rows of peas...which often (not always) but often means cockerel in the pea combed variety. Girls have one main row down the middle and tiny hedge rows on each side.

But take time to assess. Brahmas mature slowly. If not much more comb development happens, and no sickle feathers begin in the tail, or saddle feathers on the back, it could be a slightly precocious female.

But keep prepared it could be a rooster. And yeah....I have had mean roosters and nice ones. I determine at about 12 to 16 weeks of age which go and which stay. I keep 2 very sweet roosters that are fine around people, even children, but I would never ever leave a child alone with a farm animal.

So watch the temperament, and if it is sweet (many Brahma are), you'll know because you can pick it up and it will just surrender (with maybe a mild squawk of surprise at the first). The nasty ones want to bite your hand off or attack your face. You don't need to coddle or cuddle. Just pick it up once or twice and watch its reaction. It should also move out of your way without "standing off" ground or trying to run and butt.

Never keep an aggressive rooster. There are plenty of sweet ones to do the job.

LofMc
Unfortunately we wouldnt be able to keep a rooster if it is 😞 So hopefully if it ends up being one we can find a good home. Here is a comb pic from this morning

Attachments

• 20210511_112516.jpg
    20210511_112516.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom