Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

Pics
Oh,
No no! Its fine, your just worried. Their days apart usually because their laid apart, meaning that they hatch differently. :) You can candle them, id personally wait, its a bit risky to candle on lockdown In my personal opinion. But you can if youd like! Get your brooder made for sure, im not sure if your planning on her raising them or you, but id take them away after the eggs hatch and give a few days or however long you want! But of course, let their feathers dry fully. you could use the heater now, thats what i would probably do.
i thought they meant heater for the brooder if they do that. Otherwise a heater is not useful if the mommas doing it for you.

There are multiple ways people do it, people sometimes dont want them outside incase predators are often, even if the moms protecting them. Some people want them to hatch it cause they cant or choose not to use a incubator, and then gently take the chicks to a brooder. I personally think its smart to leave them with the mom, but if the feathers are dry and you know what your doing theres no harm in taking them.
I’m 50/50 on leaving with mom. On 1 hand I have no problem leaving them with her to raise and integrate. On the other hand, my other birds have been passing around a cold. Most have gotten over it, but some are still dealing with runny noses. Neither momma has it.

also, the rest of the flock is getting over fowl pox. Yes we’ve been hot hard this summer/fall.
Again neither mother has it or is showing symptoms. Are the chicks still okay outside in the “maternity ward/nursery”.

I have a brooder in my garage that I have month old chicks currently in… bought at TSC/breeder. I know they can’t be together but just saying I do have other options if necessary…

I’m 50/50 on leaving with mom. On 1 hand I have no problem leaving them with her to raise and integrate. On the other hand, my other birds have been passing around a cold. Most have gotten over it, but some are still dealing with runny noses. Neither momma has it.

also, the rest of the flock is getting over fowl pox. Yes we’ve been hot hard this summer/fall.
Again neither mother has it or is showing symptoms. Are the chicks still okay outside in the “maternity ward/nursery”.

I have a brooder in my garage that I have month old chicks currently in… bought at TSC/breeder. I know they can’t be together but just saying I do have other options if necessary…
Oh my, id take them in then if she doesnt stress over it.. if she does, maybe take her in to to visit them IF possible Every while or so. Best of luck to the momma and chicks :hugs

Oh my, id take them in then if she doesnt stress over it.. if she does, maybe take her in to to visit them IF possible Every while or so.

I would probably leave the chicks with the hen.

But if you take the chicks away to raise them separately, I would NOT do any kind of back-and-forth visiting. That will just keep the hen and chicks upset for longer: mommy/baby was here, now they're missing, now they're here, now they're missing...

It is overall less stressful for them to separate and be done with it, if you feel that leaving them together is unsafe.

I would probably leave the chicks with the hen.

But if you take the chicks away to raise them separately, I would NOT do any kind of back-and-forth visiting. That will just keep the hen and chicks upset for longer: mommy/baby was here, now they're missing, now they're here, now they're missing...

It is overall less stressful for them to separate and be done with it, if you feel that leaving them together is unsafe.
If theres fowl pox going around no. Id absolutely not leave them with the hen. Thatd be much worse. fowl pox is often contagious from other chickens and mosquitos, if theres other chickens that have it (probably mosquitoes to if thats the case) that ups the chances of the momma and baby chicks getting it.

If theres fowl pox going around no. Id absolutely not leave them with the hen.
But if they cannot stay with the hen because of the fowl pox, then having the hen visit the chicks would also be a bad idea.

fowl pox is often contagious from other chickens and mosquitos, if theres other chickens that have it (probably mosquitoes to if thats the case) that ups the chances of the momma and baby chicks getting it.

Separating the mother from her chicks will not change where the mosquitos can fly!

If the hen has the disease, then the chicks are already exposed.

If the hen does not have the disease, and the chicks can be moved to a safe place, then the hen can presumably be moved with them.

But if they cannot stay with the hen because of the fowl pox, then having the hen visit the chicks would also be a bad idea.

Separating the mother from her chicks will not change where the mosquitos can fly!

If the hen has the disease, then the chicks are already exposed.

If the hen does not have the disease, and the chicks can be moved to a safe place, then the hen can presumably be moved with them.
As i just said, brooder. usually people have brooders inside 😅 and she said the hen probably doesnt have the disease, so its fine. Also, yes, the hen can. Sorry if im misunderstanding what you said, i dont think brooders are often outside though. And i was saying move them From mama cause most people may not be able to bring their hen inside (but yes, having them visit wouldnt be the smartest in that matter if she already did)

As i just said, brooder. usually people have brooders inside 😅 and she said the hen probably doesnt have the disease, so its fine. Also, yes, the hen can. Sorry if im misunderstanding what you said, i dont think brooders are often outside though. And i was saying move them From mama cause most people may not be able to bring their hen inside (but yes, having them visit wouldnt be the smartest in that matter if she already did)
My brooder is in the garage with month to month 1/2 old chicks. I have a separate brooder I’ve used on very few occasions that I can set up if necessary. Former bunny cage… that can be brought into the house.

I will leave the chicks for now. Like I said neither mom have symptoms nor have had any since the others started. They’ve also been kept separated for the most part.

also, my hubby already doesn’t like that I bring chicks into the house if necessary… he’s have a heart attack if I brought momma in too! 🤣

My brooder is in the garage with month to month 1/2 old chicks. I have a separate brooder I’ve used on very few occasions that I can set up if necessary. Former bunny cage… that can be brought into the house.

I will leave the chicks for now. Like I said neither mom have symptoms nor have had any since the others started. They’ve also been kept separated for the most part.

also, my hubby already doesn’t like that I bring chicks into the house if necessary… he’s have a heart attack if I brought momma in too! 🤣
🤣 you could always just limit her interraction if you cant bring them inside (not the chicks with momma, but momma and chicks *mainly chicks* with other contagious chickens)

Back
Top Bottom