Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

@Weeg @Chicken poppy Momma was up and out of the box today teaching the chicks how to ‘forage’. It was so cute watching her find crickets, holding them, then giving to each after calling them over.

My question… at what point should I move them out of the maternity ward and into their own pen? I have a hen house that a few of my older hens go into at night; but I could easily move them to the larger coop. View attachment 2861460
View attachment 2861461
I usually wait until they are old enough to somewhat fend for themselves. Usually 4-6 weeks. In the past when I wasn't as experienced, I would leave mother hens in the same run as the rest of the flock. The chicks were always fine, momma had her own coop for the night time, but everyone shared the same run. Nowadays I'm a bit more cautions, and wait a bit longer before introducing chicks.
I feel like once they have the strength and no how to run away from other birds, they can be introduced.

My question… at what point should I move them out of the maternity ward and into their own pen? I have a hen house that a few of my older hens go into at night; but I could easily move them to the larger coop.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Move hen & chicks to a different pen, with no other chickens? Any time you want.

Move chicks to a pen without their mother? Not until they have enough feathers to stay warm.

Move hen & chicks into a pen with other chickens? Probably wait a few days, so the chicks are good at running around, and then think about how big the other pen is. The other chickens need enough room to stay away from mother hen as she protects her chicks!

I usually wait until they are old enough to somewhat fend for themselves. Usually 4-6 weeks. In the past when I wasn't as experienced, I would leave mother hens in the same run as the rest of the flock. The chicks were always fine, momma had her own coop for the night time, but everyone shared the same run. Nowadays I'm a bit more cautions, and wait a bit longer before introducing chicks.
I feel like once they have the strength and no how to run away from other birds, they can be introduced.
x2!

x
I feel like once they have the strength and no how to run away from other birds, they can be introduced

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear and my message was confusing. I meant moving mom and 3 chicks to hen house with an attached private run for them only. As the chicks got older, I would let mom in/out for breaks. The littles would stay in that coop, themselves, once they no longer needed mom until they were old enough to be introduced by momma to the general population. would stay there for a couple months.

Also, 4th egg is still working on getting out. Slightly bigger pip, and chirping could be heard! 🤞🏻 we have a new addition in the morning!

I meant moving mom and 3 chicks to hen house with an attached private run for them only.
Any time you want.

As the chicks got older, I would let mom in/out for breaks.
She probably won't want to do that. Of course each hen is an individual, but she will probably prefer to stay with the chicks at all times until she is ready for them to be on their own.

The littles would stay in that coop, themselves, once they no longer needed mom until they were old enough to be introduced by momma to the general population. would stay there for a couple months.
If you want momma hen to introduce her chicks to the other chickens, it must happen while she's still taking care of them as her babies. If she moves out for a few weeks or longer, then meets the chicks again, she will probably be just as nasty to them as the other hens are. (Of course it varies from one hen to another, but that seems to be the most common pattern.)

Oh my goodness! So exciting! Thats the best feeling, I'm so happy for you! 🥰
Thank you! It was soooo nerve wracking! And to complicate things…. Here in central Texas, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning! As soon as baby hatched I moved mom and baby to my garage for the night… just to be safe.

And due to the storm… while I don’t know coloring yet, his/her name shall be ‘Stormy’

Thank you! It was soooo nerve wracking! And to complicate things…. Here in central Texas, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning! As soon as baby hatched I moved mom and baby to my garage for the night… just to be safe.

And due to the storm… while I don’t know coloring yet, his/her name shall be ‘Stormy’
Awww, this is so sweet! What a cute name, I bet they're cozy in the garage, congrats on your 4th baby!

Awww, this is so sweet! What a cute name, I bet they're cozy in the garage, congrats on your 4th baby!
Thank you! Here he/she is! Doesn’t she look just like her momma?!

502A4D68-2A1C-4526-8819-5EB899B7F47B.jpeg
7DE07942-DF2B-430D-9EB5-C2DB0E15E7CA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom