Possible idea to manage coop waste/cleaning

Where can I find hemp litter ?
Amazon is probably the easiest source, or some of the same manufacturers on there will also sell direct if you look up their websites. Shipping cost is really the main downside - very few feed stores carry hemp for some reason, so it usually has to be purchased from manufacturer.

This is the scoop I bought to reach all the way to the back with my pdz setup. Sometimes you have to scoop the same spot multiple times but for the most part the small poops get sifted out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RHSJ3FP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I used to scoop it first thing in the morning when I let the girls out. But I figured out that if I let the poop sit till my afternoon chicken check, the nasty wet cecal poops are dried out and the sweet pdz granules behave like clumping cat litter. It also helps soak up any messes left on the perches so that you can scrape it off more easily later.

The coop stays so dry in wet weather and the girls like to hang out in there for their afternoon siesta even in the heat. My only qualm with it is that it's a bit dusty when being scooped. If you have an elevated coop like mine you have to really seal any gaps in the floor or close to the bottom or it will just trickle outside onto the ground.

I have my chicken coop cleaning routine squated away, but my goat house is VERY ANNOYING. However, your scoop on a stick gives me an idea. I think I'll convert an old rake into something similar with hardware cloth to scoop out the goat "berries" from their sawdust bedding.

I'll let you know how it goes. You'd be shocked how much poop 4 medium sized goaties can produce in just a few hours...

Problem solved and it looks great. Your chickens have adequate floor space in the coop? For 36 birds that would be minimum of 144sq ft in coop and 360sq ft in run.

Amazon is probably the easiest source, or some of the same manufacturers on there will also sell direct if you look up their websites. Shipping cost is really the main downside - very few feed stores carry hemp for some reason, so it usually has to be purchased from manufacturer.
Here is what I buy on Amazon, price plus tax, takes a couple of weeks to get so order ahead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-13-08-59-15-12_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-13-08-59-15-12_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 12
I think I may use some of your ideas!! I'm not into poop boards, just an area that can be cleaned often under the roosts. I think your idea is far less work than a poop board (IMO). I use shavings, and can scoop them out as needed. Then I re-cover the area with already used shavings from in the coop (it's okay if it has been pre used), and add fresh to the other areas. So I'm not wasting anything.
I started with 6 inches of hemp bedding in coop June 2021. A year later and i dont see any need to overhaul it. I have lost a couple inches due to cleaning poop daily, but, the hemp is amazing because it never changes. If there is poop, the hemp dries it out perfectly and remaining hemp is still in the same shape it was last year. Just gotta add more when i get the money together! The hemp is pricey but i think its worth it because of how great it works. 🤷‍♀️I have zero comparisons. The hemp works great. In the summer i harvest and dry lavender and peppermint and add that to the coop. Never has smelled bad in a year either. Thank goodness when some things go right! Now if only i could find a way to cool down my external nesting boxes! I tried leaving a door open and putting a sheer, silky hair thing to cover where the door was to let fresh air, but, they dont feel safe cause noone is using it. Might have to have removable parts. Nesting box design for winter, nesting box design for summer. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 3DB93AF3-E94E-44E1-A7D3-BA80DB2E26A2.jpeg
    3DB93AF3-E94E-44E1-A7D3-BA80DB2E26A2.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
I agree the shipping costs for a couple of the direat places I found were a no go. I got my coop set up from Amazon, but I also just got an email that Carolina Coops has it back in stock!
We followed a carolina coop design called the Americana. If i could go back, i would put much more consideration to the external nesting boxes because one is in direct sun ALL day and gets super hot here in CT. I'm considering blocking that box off which leaves me with 2 nests for 5 chickens. 🤷‍♀️

This is the scoop I bought to reach all the way to the back with my pdz setup. Sometimes you have to scoop the same spot multiple times but for the most part the small poops get sifted out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RHSJ3FP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I used to scoop it first thing in the morning when I let the girls out. But I figured out that if I let the poop sit till my afternoon chicken check, the nasty wet cecal poops are dried out and the sweet pdz granules behave like clumping cat litter. It also helps soak up any messes left on the perches so that you can scrape it off more easily later.

The coop stays so dry in wet weather and the girls like to hang out in there for their afternoon siesta even in the heat. My only qualm with it is that it's a bit dusty when being scooped. If you have an elevated coop like mine you have to really seal any gaps in the floor or close to the bottom or it will just trickle outside onto the ground.
Looks identical to what I picked up at walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Life-Expandable-Aluminum-Cat-Litter-Scoop/646939508

Back
Top Bottom