Possible infection in foot? Limping hen.

dancingqueen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
For about a month I have had a RIR that had been limping. The local vet didn't notice anything that looked odd. But the leg she is babying is warm to touch. She has lost weight but is still eating and drinking. She isn't acting as outgoing as normal (running to me when I go outside). I will attach a photo so you can see what the foot/toe looks like. It doesn't look like typical bumble foot. But I'm worried because I'm afraid she will get bumble foot on her good foot if she doesn't start using both feet regularly.

Is it very cold where you live where frostbite could have nipped the tip of her middle toe? That is what the swelling above the nails looks like.

I do live where frost bite is a possibility. But I don't think that's what happened since its been warmer lately. There looks to be a small cut right below the nail. Not sure if it's from swelling or what but it's new as of yesterday. I've been treating with vetericyn and she was at the vet a week and a half ago and I was told to use a anti inflammatory. She was limping for two weeks before I had a vet look at her, it will be two weeks Monday since the vet saw her. But I think something else is going on. She limps and stands on one foot.

The toe nail also is darker and looks to have blood running thru it, in case that matters. Not sure if maybe she had trauma to it?

Well I soaked her foot in Epsom salts and was going to lance the foot. But in the process of her struggle the toe nail ripped off. I poked around and squeezed, some rubbery stuff pushed out but I couldn't pull it out. She was bleeding quite badly so we stopped and wrapped her up for the night. Will see what it looks like tomorrow when I change the bandage since I couldn't see much from all the blood.

Back
Top Bottom