Possible Leg Amputation needed, need advice asap

X
Quote:
Exactly, but I have a soft spot for 'disabled' chickens, I've adopted this one, and a complete midget, but they are incredibly healthy and I would not let them breed either, that could prove to be very very bad.

Quote:
I had a hen with one leg & she did just fine also she was the boss.
I found her in a trap & her leg was almost cut in half. I tried to save it & we did pretty well over the summer but when winter came the leg started to turn a not so good color. I asked my vet & they didn't want to touch that being that they only care for cats & dogs. So one day (this is going to sound horrible) but I took the dog nail clipper & cut it off. She didn't even feel it. THOUGH her leg was dead & no blood was flowing past the point of the original break. Anyway my girl went on to live 3 more years & had a very happy life.

Quote:
What I've seen on here is not so much a kill it if it is flawed philosophy, but rather a kill it if it's quality of life will not be good philosophy. There are lots of people on here with "special needs" chickens, and all of them are amazing people who are dedicated enough to provide for their birds' differences. Special needs chickens do require more work and care and a lot more diligence than "normal" chickens. If you are willing and able to provide that, then there's no reason a chicken can't live a good life even with a debilitating deformity. However, if you are not up to meeting the care requirements it would be better to kill a chick before they have to suffer.

Quote:
What I've seen on here is not so much a kill it if it is flawed philosophy, but rather a kill it if it's quality of life will not be good philosophy. There are lots of people on here with "special needs" chickens, and all of them are amazing people who are dedicated enough to provide for their birds' differences. Special needs chickens do require more work and care and a lot more diligence than "normal" chickens. If you are willing and able to provide that, then there's no reason a chicken can't live a good life even with a debilitating deformity. However, if you are not up to meeting the care requirements it would be better to kill a chick before they have to suffer.

Oh believe me, I know, but there is no suffering, she's active happy and eating perfectly, I'm just a huge worrywart and have been fretting over her leg since we adopted her, but her quality of life is indeed as near to perfect as it can be with such a disablitity.

If the leg is healthy looking and she's happy maybe let her be & see how she does. I hated amputating my girls leg & was so nervous when I did it & her leg was DEAD. So with a leg that has blood flow, I'd just see how it goes. However if she does loose the leg know that she can go on to live a happy life.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sure it was very hard for you, my gosh, I don't think I'd be able to do it myself even if the situation called for it, I'm a HUGE wimp when it comes to that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't even try to do it myself if the leg was anywhere near alive, I'd only trust a GOOD avian vet. But that's why I wanted the forums opinion on the matter, my decision is to wait and see if it does get any more...messed up per say, I'm trying to figure out a way I can make a sling or something but its pretty difficult.

Thanks guys, that's why I asked here before going through with anything drastic. I'm just going to leave the leg be and hope it doesn't get caught on anything, but she is indeed thriving and very happy, so culling is not anywhere near in our future.
Hi,don't take any notice of these people who are suggesting a culling result.Please see your local vet.These people are trained in all sorts of animal situations.While the animal is still alive and not in pain see your vet.

Back
Top Bottom