Possible leg injury and balance issues

chicken-ing

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
I have a 2-3 year old hen who was previously limping and now can barely stand without using her wing as support. She is depressed and lays down instead of making efforts to stand up. Her right leg or foot is the problem area although any injury seems invisible. It's not paralyzed, she'll curl her toes on her right foot when touched and grip your finger.
She is also currently being treated for a possible respiratory or ear infection. She was without an appetite and shaking her head/yawning but is now eating and drinking normally after 2 shots of antibiotics. No further head tremors. Merek's is a possibility, though I don't believe it's the case. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sadly, I don't have anything to help. But if it gets worse, you may want to look into euthanization.
I know, but I'm not giving up on her. That's a last resort if she's unable to be saved. I need advice on how to treat her leg issue currently.

Update. She can somewhat stand up but yelps in pain or breathes with her beak open when having to continously put weight on her leg(s). Today she is unwilling to even move her feet (they make the perching pose when brought up, but by herself she leaves them curled). She is currently unwilling to eat either.
Are there any ways to relieve her pain or reduce pressure on her leg?

Back
Top Bottom