Possible Leg Problems

IamHEC

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
I am new to raising chicks and I have a problem with one of my chicks that I cannot find any helpful information on. She is a 3 weekish old Cream Legbar. She has always been smaller than the rest of the chicks but held her own and had zero issues with mobility...until, yesterday. She will loose her balance and stumble as she preens herself. Now she is starting to become more lethargic but is alert to noise and will react to it. She has no symptoms other than that. She is eating and drinking normal, her vent is clean, poo is normal, eyes clear and bright, feathers that have come in on her wings are shiny and clean. The only thing I can tell that is off, compaired to my other little CL is her legs are thin and dull looking. I added a probiotic/electrolyte mix to her water and she is separated from the rest. Hopefully someone has an answer because I cannot find anything as to what is wrong with her.

She is eating a growth protein crumble.

Attachments

• 20230815_152546.jpg
    20230815_152546.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230815_152612.jpg
    20230815_152612.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 1
I like human B complex or super B complex tablets which has all the B vitamins including riboflavin which is good for legs and feet. Dosage for a chick is 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or food. You can also use some thing like Poultry Cell 2 drops daily, or other chick vitamins, but make sure there is riboflavin on the label. Poultry NutriDrench does not. Does the left leg look bruised?

I like human B complex or super B complex tablets which has all the B vitamins including riboflavin which is good for legs and feet. Dosage for a chick is 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or food. You can also use some thing like Poultry Cell 2 drops daily, or other chick vitamins, but make sure there is riboflavin on the label. Poultry NutriDrench does not. Does the left leg look bruised?
No bruising or sensitivity. Nothing feels broken either. When I stand her up and she starts to take a step she will tip forward like she is top heavy.

You can get them at the grocery store, actually.
B complex tablets and 400 i.u vitamin E capsules
I have vitamin e caps, how much would I give of that? Would any of this have a negative affect on the bird?

I am new to raising chicks and I have a problem with one of my chicks that I cannot find any helpful information on. She is a 3 weekish old Cream Legbar. She has always been smaller than the rest of the chicks but held her own and had zero issues with mobility...until, yesterday. She will loose her balance and stumble as she preens herself. Now she is starting to become more lethargic but is alert to noise and will react to it. She has no symptoms other than that. She is eating and drinking normal, her vent is clean, poo is normal, eyes clear and bright, feathers that have come in on her wings are shiny and clean. The only thing I can tell that is off, compaired to my other little CL is her legs are thin and dull looking. I added a probiotic/electrolyte mix to her water and she is separated from the rest. Hopefully someone has an answer because I cannot find anything as to what is wrong with her.

She is eating a growth protein crumble.
I am seeing some improvement today. I am going to keep her out of the main flock today to see if she builds up more strength after I give her some vE. I don't want her to cause further injury trying to keep up with the bigger chicks, she is half the others size.

I have noticed today, when she is starting to loose balance she will stretch a wing out to keep her upright. I am having difficulties uploading the video to help others see her movement to help figure out what is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom