possible MG possible impacted crop?

shanopaint

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hello-
I posted yesterday about Camilla's sickness. Not sure what breed or age, but not a pullet. She is full grown. I believe she has MG and have been treating with tetracycline. Was working good but i believe, due to stress and perhaps meds that were sitting in water for over 24 hours (making them ineffective) she has worsened. Her demeanor and attitude is however, still the same. Somewhat still but does flap about and groom. Eats and drinks great. Poop goes from nice and solid and pure liquid. The main issue her her swollen swollen face on one side. Gave her a bit of butter milk and some nut bits which she loved. Neosporin on the face. So I'm sticking with the meds for another week and then switching to tylan if her swollen face does not go down. My NEW concern of today is she has a rock like lump on her left side. From my research, everyone says the crop is on the right side and a bit lower down. This lump is on the left side and seems much higher up, almost on her neck and not by the breast. it is smaller then a golf ball but larger then a marble. What is going on? Is this is crop or is this some other thing?

Can you post some photos?

Yes, the crop is on the right side, not sure what is going on if the lump is on the left side. The lump is hard?
Did by any chance do injections of antibiotic treatment in the breast?

@Eggcessive gave you good sound advice on your other thread about treating your sick girl.

If the lump feels like a balloon or when you tap it sounds "hollow" it could possibly be airsacculitis (infection/ruptured air sac) which would be a complication from Mycoplasma. Other possibility would be some type of tumor/cancer developing.

[/IMG]

It's right where I am pointing. Can't really see a lump from out side. Is this a bone? Ugh. I did locate the crop and it is not impacted. Feels nice and squishy. Also a pic of her poor swollen face :(

Could be bone. Not quite sure, but for now I would leave it be.

Poor dear looks very ill, she is so pale. Have you been able to get that eye opened to see if there is any pus you can remove?

Flush the eye with saline, see if there is any "cheesy" looking pus in it, if so remove as much as you can, chickens have hard pus and if not removed infection will not go away by itself.
Apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment in the eye.

Offer her some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

If you have a vet that can see her, that would be best.

yes air sac perhaps. I've slaughtered some birds and that is about where their tiny little lungs are. I'm so worried. She's my only bird and a nice little layer and we hang out quite a bit. My husband and I received 6 pullets and one rooster as a gift from some family friends while we were living out in the country this past spring. Camilla was used to being my little queen and with all these new bird, it was quite a transition. Then we moved again to neighborhood with literally 10-20 roosters plus many hens and a multitude of pullets just roaming about free on the neighborhood block. Their roosters got mixed up with my flock and I believe they killed my speckled rooster who had become quick buddies with Camilla. As the 6 pullets grew, Camilla became low in the pecking order. She was constantly chased by the other roosters and seemed very not happy. it was very hard and almost impossible for me to give her any special attention since my husband and i were both commuting an hour away for work and were putting in 10 hour days. Then i got pregnant. Then we moved AGAIN! Now the pullets were quite large almost full grown but still impossible for us to tell if they were hens or roosters. They had no official roost---just the trees (horrible i know) so catching them for the move was insane. We managed to wrangle 4 of the 6 pullets and Camilla. All 4 of the pullets we caught turned out to be roosters. So Camilla had been in this huge pack of roosters for months. When we caught her the other day so we could catch the remaining 2 roosters to kill, she was so scared and exhausted. Then we noticed her face which was not this badly swollen but still not right. Then i saw all the broken feathers around her neck where the roosters has been pecking her. OMG the mom guilt rushed over me. Her little comb and cheeks were full of scabs. She looks so dehydrated probably unable to get enough water due to bullying from the roosters. I was just in an impossible stressful situation and having constant morning sickness left me dead most days. I had neglected my poor baby and left her with a pack of dirty crazy roosters and now she is just so sick and stressed. Obviously all the TLC this past week has gotten us closer again and her feeling better. I have a new clean roost for her ready to go IF she gets better. No more chicken presents! ugh she could have gotten this disease from anything----the pullets, the stray roosters, the wild birds in the trees, too much poop around, too much stress or all of the above. She's a tough bird though. Hope she pulls thru. i need to boost the immune so she can fight. any thoughts or kind words? I just feel awful about the whole thing.

okay thank you so much. yes we live in the city now so no chicken vets around here but i will do everything i can for this dear bird. btw her comb always becomes pale after summer. Happened last year and then in spring time it turned pink again---odd

Back
Top Bottom