Possible Mycoplasma-Best Recommendation

KoontzFlock2021

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 31, 2016
Hello- We inherited a small flock of 5 hens from a friend. We have had them separated from our larger flock since getting them. It’s come to our attention that 2 of the hens were not well. Foamy eyes, swelling below eye- possibly indicating Mycoplasma. Before we order Tylosan and begin to treat, I need advice from the community if this is worth doing or, if most people just depopulate the flock. I don’t want to do that as we have 12 or so hens that were here first and seem healthy but, don’t know best course of action or if it’s worth treating.

It might depend on if it is mycoplasma synoviae or gallisepticum, but in either case, there are no effective treatments. Tylosan can help the latter with mortality but the survivors of either may be carriers.
I would opt for depopulating the new birds and if keeping any, keep them separated.

The sick ones will always be carriers, and will spread it to your healthy hens. I would not add them to your flock. Tylosin can treat symptoms of mycoplasma, but it does not cure it. If you want to find out what they have, your state vet could do a necropsy and testing. If you already had birds sick with MG, I would suggest closing the flock and handling it with Tylosin if there was an outbreak, but it is still necessary to try and get tested. Here is a good article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/def... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Hold up...
I see your other thread... You just recently got your original flock? How old are they and where did they come from?

Hello everyone and thanks for all the posts. Well, took our girl into the Emergency Room at University of Florida this morning. Guess it’s good to have a hospital like this so close to us. The vet is putting her on Tylosin and we are separating her and just watching the rest but they didn’t seem concerned at all. Very thankful that all is looking up and we don’t have to “cull” anyone.

Hello everyone and thanks for all the posts. Well, took our girl into the Emergency Room at University of Florida this morning. Guess it’s good to have a hospital like this so close to us. The vet is putting her on Tylosin and we are separating her and just watching the rest but they didn’t seem concerned at all. Very thankful that all is looking up and we don’t have to “cull” anyone.
Do they put a swab down her throat to do some testing?

Meds only hide symptoms until stress brings it back out.I would cull all of them as its spreads by dust etc so if you went in with them then walked in your coop you spreaded it already.

Back
Top Bottom