Possible Mycoplasma in flock?

CheddarQ

Hatching
Apr 25, 2020
A few weeks ago I noticed my 8 week old (roughly) Silkie chick had a swollen eye. Thought it might be a pecking injury. Then I noticed one of my road island red chicks, around the same age, started sneezing. Couple of days later I noticed bubbles in the silkies eye. I have been treating her with terramycin for 3 days, it seems to be helping but not healing. I also started VetRx on the flock since TS was out of Tylan. I am going to feed stores today in search of tylan but I have some questions. My other two Red chicks are not showing any symptoms should I treat them anyways or not? Any other advice for me?

Do you have any pictures?Tylan (tylosin) is not available in feed stores anymore. At present you can sometimes find the slouble powder to put in the water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Dosage is 1 tsp. per gallon of water for 5 days. Always add the water to the powder to get it to mix properly. Change water at least every 3 days.

MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum is a chronic respiratory disease spread by a carrier or through hatching eggs. I would recommend closing your flock to new birds until all birds are gone. Many backyard flocks may test positive for MG, and it leaves the whole flock carriers for life. Some birds may never get sick, but symptoms can appear any time a bird is stressed, such as in very cold weather or during a molt.

Do you have any pictures?Tylan (tylosin) is not available in feed stores anymore. At present you can sometimes find the slouble powder to put in the water here:
Dosage is 1 tsp. per gallon of water for 5 days. Always add the water to the powder to get it to mix properly. Change water at least every 3 days.

MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum is a chronic respiratory disease spread by a carrier or through hatching eggs. I would recommend closing your flock to new birds until all birds are gone. Many backyard flocks may test positive for MG, and it leaves the whole flock carriers for life. Some birds may never get sick, but symptoms can appear any time a bird is stressed, such as in very cold weather or during a molt.

I will post a picture once the bubbles return. They go away after the application of the terramycin. Thank you for the link. My intention was to introduce the chicks to our adult hen when they are big enough. Is that not recommended even after treatment?

61DFC0EF-3504-4740-9376-E063A773D6EC.jpeg

Attachments

• BEECA642-3F5A-4BBE-B446-C83F9EC53DBB.jpeg
    BEECA642-3F5A-4BBE-B446-C83F9EC53DBB.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 6
A few weeks ago I noticed my 8 week old (roughly) Silkie chick had a swollen eye. Thought it might be a pecking injury. Then I noticed one of my road island red chicks, around the same age, started sneezing. Couple of days later I noticed bubbles in the silkies eye. I have been treating her with terramycin for 3 days, it seems to be helping but not healing. I also started VetRx on the flock since TS was out of Tylan. I am going to feed stores today in search of tylan but I have some questions. My other two Red chicks are not showing any symptoms should I treat them anyways or not? Any other advice for me?
Are you referring to Terramycin eye ointment or Terramycin soluable powder aka oxytetracycline treatment for MG?

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) presents quite a few symptoms anywhere from mild to severe, more than a swollen bubbly eye and the RIR chick sneezing. Both eyes would be swollen and bubbly if it were MG. There would also be wheezing, gurgling, head shaking and runny nostrils just to mention a few symptoms.
I suspect it might be something in the environment, such as; soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes, pollen, feed dust, dust from dust bathing, pesticide use, or perhaps the Silkie scratched her eye and it became infected.
Try flushing the eye with saline solution, pat dry and continue with the terramycin eye ointment until it's cleared up. If it persists after ten days, an antibiotic such as doxycycline (Bird Biotic) or cipro (Fish Flex) may be needed.

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) presents quite a few symptoms anywhere from mild to severe, more than a swollen bubbly eye and the RIR chick sneezing. Both eyes would be swollen and bubbly if it were MG. There would also be wheezing, gurgling, head shaking and runny nostrils just to mention a few symptoms.
I suspect it might be something in the environment, such as; soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes, pollen, feed dust, dust from dust bathing, pesticide use, or perhaps the Silkie scratched her eye and it became infected.
Try flushing the eye with saline solution, pat dry and continue with the terramycin eye ointment until it's cleared up. If it persists after ten days, an antibiotic such as doxycycline (Bird Biotic) or cipro (Fish Flex) may be needed.

hello, I just posted in my content a possible CRD/MG infection in our flock. Is MG really both eyes AND sneezing/coughing? Because our chickens only have 1 swollen eye that is spreading throughout the 15 of them. Pics are in my feed let me know if you can help me identify their “illness”. Thanks so much.

Victoria & Lukas

Back
Top Bottom