Possible Nystatin aspiration in pullet? Help!!

Sorry that she aspirated her medicine. Has her beak ever had a bad odor so far? I would be careful to give the medicine very slowly, pull down on her wattles to open the beak, give a couple of drops at a time, letting her swallow. There is nothing you can do for the aspirating, but hopefully she will get over it.
Her beak hasn't smelled bad yet. That's what we've been doing for the medicine, but I think most of it's gone down her trachea.

How is she doing?

The vet thinks that yellow stuff inside her beak is yeast infection? If so, then her crop will likely be slow too. Hopefully the Nystatin will take care of it.
She's doing pretty much the same as last night, mucus in her beak, open mouth breathing.

If she's hasn't choked yet and keeps sneezing and coughing, she should be okay. When aspiration occurs, it's nearly always instantaneous death. How's that for injecting a ray of sunshine?

Have you examined her throat to be sure the scum isn't blocking her airway? Your vet should have taken a culture and made sure it's Candida and not a protozoa infection, which would require an anti-protoza med.

I'm also wondering if plain old vaginal yeast cream would be safer to administer than liquid nystatin.

If she's hasn't choked yet and keeps sneezing and coughing, she should be okay. When aspiration occurs, it's nearly always instantaneous death. How's that for injecting a ray of sunshine?

Have you examined her throat to be sure the scum isn't blocking her airway? Your vet should have taken a culture and made sure it's Candida and not a protozoa infection, which would require an anti-protoza med.

I'm also wondering if plain old vaginal yeast cream would be safer to administer than liquid nystatin.
That's a relief!! Her airway isn't blocked, but when we were giving her her meds and were opening her beak inbetween doses, there was a bubble of mucus/Nystatin over it that popped when she stretched her beak.

Back
Top Bottom