Possible paralyzation after dog attack??

xmas1210

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
It has been 36 hours since our dog was a bit too rough with one of our hens (scooped her up in her mouth and ran with her). There is no visible sign of harm, but since the attack our hen has not moved (all but a quiver in the legs). I have fed and watered her separate from the flock and they are not picking on her. When I pick her up, she shivers but I assume from fear?? One leg seems strong in the sense that she is weight bearing with my help but not on her own. Last night she started showing a slight green hue to parts of her feet, could this be bruising? Has anyone ever had a hen survive or have quality of life after possibly being paralyzed? I don’t want her to be in pain and don’t want to rush putting the poor thing out of her misery. Please advise, thank you for you help!
-A New Chicken Mom

Keep her in a warm dark area for a week. I once had a rooster survive a hawk attack. His back was destroyed. He wouldn’t move and was in shock. I put him in a cage with towels cutting out all light and I added a heat lamp. It was a while before he finally got up.

Edit to add:
(This is the thread with the picture of my rooster's back a couple days after he got attacked: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/infection-or-bruising.1383753/)

Chickens are very resilient

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom