Possible punctured lung from dog attack

Bookworm0124

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
New England
I don't have any pictures but my 3 month old pullet was attacked by a dog this morning. I thought possible broken leg as I didn't see blood and she was limping. I went to get more vet wrap, and when I got home there was blood in the bedding of coop. I looked around a little further on her and there is a deep gash. She is panting and with each breath there is a bubble that comes from the gash. Has anyone successfully treated an injury like this? I'm researching but figured for the sake of time I'd ask for help. She is in my medical coop alone right now so the others don't pick her.

Pictures would be very helpful. If there is bubbling when she breathes then it may be a damaged air sac. This thread has some suggestions on possible treatments, it's very much going to depend on how severe the damage is. Antibiotics also may be necessary. In this thread start with post #22, and hopefully some of it will be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-graphic-picture-please-help.1276437/page-3

Poor baby. How is her breathing? Stress is very hard on chickens. Can you bring her indoors to a calm, warm place and let her rest? I would trim back the feathers and get a better look at the wound. I’m sure it needs to be cleaned and/or flushed, but I’m not sure how that works with a punctured air sac. I have a few online friends I like to tag in challenging situations. Unfortunately, they are tagged in most of these posts by everyone else as well. I try to reserve my tags for more urgent situations, so here goes. A nice thing about this group I’m about to tag is that they tend to vary a bit in their responses. That will likely provide you with some options for course of action. Of course, if an avian vet is an option for you, that would be helpful. We’ve seen some recoveries from pretty horrendous injuries on these forums, so don’t lose hope.
@Eggcessive @casportpony @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Shadrach @rebrascora @TwoCrows @coach723

I’m sure I’m forgetting some people, but that’s a good start. My main concern is the potential punctured air sac and how to deal with that and the gash at the same time.

Poor hen.
I would also think that as @coach723 mentions that there is a pulmonary puncture probably caused by the crushing in the dogs jaws.
I've never dealt with such a problem that close to other vital organs and have no idea of the chances of your hens chances of survival.
If the hen was one of my flock I would probably euthanasia.
I think such an injury is beyond home care and if you decide to try and save her then a visit to a vet is the best option.

Regardless of whether lungs or an air sac were damaged, the biggest danger is the puncture wounds introducing infection from the bacteria on a dog's teeth. An oral antibiotic should be started immediately.

Air sacs can close if they aren't too torn. The wound can be treated until it heals with cleansing and topical antibiotic ointment to keep it moist. If a lung has been punctured, it may heal if there isn't too much damage.

When deciding to euthanize instead of treating, take these points into consideration:

-Do you have the time and commitment to devote to treating this wounded hen?
-Is this hen alert and interested in eating and drinking or is she lethargic and non-vocal?
-Is she struggling to breathe and losing color in her comb and facial tissue from lack of oxygen?

I let the injured chicken tell me by their behavior whether they want to survive or need to have the suffering over.

I would use some betadine or Vetericyn, and spray the wound. After drying that I would use a good amount of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the wound. Normally I would not dress a wound on a chicken, but I would use a folded 3x3 square or Telfa pad and place it over the wound. Then if you can find a pair of panty hose or T shirt material, place it around the dressing, and do not get it too tight to restrict her breathing. It sounds like like a leaking air sac, but the ointment and dressing might seal it temporarily so that it heals.

How does she act? Is she alert, moving, standing or walking, or in shock? Will she take sips of water or electrolytes? When she is alert, I would offer chopped scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, tuna, and lots of water.

Thank you for the suggestions. She is currently in shock and panting. I have her alone in a separate coop for now. With the dogs and kids it is not quiet inside. I will give it my best shot. Unfortunately she's one of my favorite pullets so I'll give her a chance. But if she shows no improvement I'll put her down. The fence has been heightened so they shouldn't get over anymore. I'm hesitant to clip wings because they've been free ranging during the day and I don't want them to be defenseless.

Back
Top Bottom