Possible red, kinda swollen butt?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
My hens are molting and I noticed that one girl has what looks like a swollen/puffy area that is a little red on her butt area. I think it might be the top part of her vent, but I'm not sure since I was in an awkward position. She's acting normal. It isn't hard and I saw her poop (which looked normal). What is this?

I'll also try to look at it while she's roosting, I should be in a better position then.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 21
If it has feathers starting to grow out of it, the lump isn't part of the vent.

It's very hard to see what you're concerned about. A photo with another body part in view for reference would be helpful so we know where on the body the lump is.

I suggest you give this hen a nice warm soak in Epsom salt, pat her dry and take a photo while the feathers are still damp so we can better see the skin where the lump is.

So I know I said I'd do the bath the next day, but I decided to wait a few more days because it was super cold so I figured it would be better to wait, and to see if it would clear up on its own (which it hasn't). So, I'm going to try to do it the next opportunity. It's supposed to pretty warm this weekend so most likely then, but hopefully sooner.

So I know I said I'd do the bath the next day, but I decided to wait a few more days because it was super cold so I figured it would be better to wait, and to see if it would clear up on its own (which it hasn't). So, I'm going to try to do it the next opportunity. It's supposed to pretty warm this weekend so most likely then, but hopefully sooner.
Let us know what you find out.
Take your time and examine her really well. Note what the lump feels like (hard, soft, pus filled/ingrown feathers, etc.) and have a helper to take photos if possible.

Good luck and keep us posted:)

It was 50 degrees F today and I thought that would be warm enough but my parents said that it wasn't, and that she'd get sick and die. It's not going to get any warmer either (it's always SOMETHING). SO, I examined it more and it's about 1.5 inches in diameter (maybe a little bit more). It is pretty soft, so it'd say it could be pus filled. I didn't see anywhere on it that looked like an ingrown feather. It's not super red either, just a little bit. One of my pictures shows it looking super red but that's just the lighting. She doesn't seem to be in any distress, and it hasn't had any noticeable change since I first saw it.

Well. You may want to just watch it and see if it gets bigger. If you notice it swells more, has an odor or anything else unusual then have your parents help you gather her up, bring her in and examine it more closely.

Back
Top Bottom