Possible remedies for birds with cold? Please advise.

Aleisha

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have an 18 month buff orp hen that is wheezing and has nasal discharge. This came about after a recent hawk attack during which we lost one of our birds. Since the incident all the other hens refused to (first) leave the run and (now) leave the roost box. I have to chase them into the covered yard during the day but they run right back into the box as soon as I turn my back. They are used to being free range. I fear being cooped is making them ill. My question is:

1 - Should I isolate the sick bird?
2 - tetracycline or tylan as well as probiotics have been recommended. Thoughts?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aleisha

He sounds pretty sick. I do not have any experience with giving chickens tylan, I prefer tetracycline especially if he is not doing well. You will probably need to isolate him if you buy the antibiotics you put in his water. I would do a through exam on him to make sure he does not have any puncture wounds. The hawk may still be around if they are continuing to hide. I would not think being inside would hurt them as long as it is clean and dry.

I have read of people using Denagard with good success on respitory. Maybe research Denegard, I believe that is the treatment of choice. Sorry, wish I could help more.

Good Luck,
Trish

Quote:
I agree, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding can cause the symptoms you describe. If it was a respiratory problem, most likely it wouldve spread to your other birds and they would be wheezing and sneezing as well.
As far as your birds not free ranging after a hawk attack, give it time, they'll eventually wonder out in your yard. I've had the same thing happen.
If you truly suspect a respiratory issue, I recommend tylan 50 injectable. It can be found in the cattle section at your feed store. Dosage is 1/2cc orally for 5 days. You should see improvement by the 4th day. Use a syringe without a needle to dose her.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll be treating them if necessary. Have found I did not need to isolate the hen. I've trying to increase the air circulation in the roost - although it's really quite good and I haven't noticed an ammonia smell. I've also been forcing them out of the box and into the secure yard on a daily basis. Finally, we got a puppy, who now accompanies me several times daily, to the coop to check on the girls, scare off hawks and etc. The girls really like the pup and run out of the roost box each time we arrive. I've noticed my sick hen improving and it might be a combination of all these things??? Also, it's good to know that they will eventually overcome their fear.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom