Possible resp infection

flyballgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
We have a hen who has been possibly in resp distress.. She is opening her mouth really wide, sticking her tongue out and maybe or maybe not having trouble breathing. This has been going on for several days but yesterday she would not open one eye and the other chickens have started pecking on her (as if they know she is sick??). She is separated from all the others but I'm trying to figure out what she may have and how to deal with it. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Yes, it sounds like she has a respiratory disease. I'd start her on some antibiotics. Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and LA200) is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. If the respiratory infection is caught early enough, Oxytetracycline should work. However, if it doesn't, or if the disease is in its later stages, get Tylan50 or Tylan200. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams. Tylan200 is stronger, and better for respiratory diseases. Its dosage is .1-.3ccs for bantams, and .5ccs for large fowl for four days.

The disease may not be caused by a bacteria. If this is the case, antibiotics won't work. The most you can do is keep her hydrated, well fed, and warm.

She could have gapeworm, but the fact that her eye is now closed tells me that a respiratory disease is more probable. Still, you could worm her using either Fenabenzole or Safeguard, just in case she has gapeworm. But, don't do this while treating with antibiotics, as it will be hard on her system.

Hope I've helped! Please keep us updated!

Yes, it sounds like she has a respiratory disease. I'd start her on some antibiotics. Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and LA200) is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. If the respiratory infection is caught early enough, Oxytetracycline should work. However, if it doesn't, or if the disease is in its later stages, get Tylan50 or Tylan200. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams. Tylan200 is stronger, and better for respiratory diseases. Its dosage is .1-.3ccs for bantams, and .5ccs for large fowl for four days.

The disease may not be caused by a bacteria. If this is the case, antibiotics won't work. The most you can do is keep her hydrated, well fed, and warm.

She could have gapeworm, but the fact that her eye is now closed tells me that a respiratory disease is more probable. Still, you could worm her using either Fenabenzole or Safeguard, just in case she has gapeworm. But, don't do this while treating with antibiotics, as it will be hard on her system.

Hope I've helped! Please keep us updated!
The dosage for Oxytetracycline is 1/8 teaspoon powdered Oxytetracycline per cup of drinking water for 7-14 days. During antibiotic treatment, do not give probiotics. Definitely give them afterward, though!

Thank you for the advice. I have had her on antibiotics for 3 days and she is not opening her mouth as often or as wide. Her eye is still closed but she seems to be getting around fine and is still eating and drinking. But now one of her wings is drooping I'm not sure if she is growing her mature feathers because she is only about 3 months old and not fully grown. Thanks.

What about giving vitamins and electrolytes at the same time as the antibiotic?

my chicken now cannot flap her wing and I think it might be broken.Do you know what to do about a broken wing.

my chicken now cannot flap her wing and I think it might be broken.Do you know what to do about a broken wing.
It sounds like your chickens wing could be paralyzed, not broken. Do you know if she was ever vaccinated for Marek's disease? And is she still doing that mouth opening thing?

I don't think she was vaccinated for Marek's disease. The mouth opening seems better but her eye is still mostly closed all the time. She has been on the antibiotics for almost three days. Thank you for your help.

Hi. Is the Tylan 50 a powder or liquid? I've found the injectable but it's for cattle. Do you know if you can put the injectable liquid in the chicken's water? It is a lot less expensive than the powder. But really I just have to choose from what either Tractor Supply or Southern States sells because I probably should get it today and not wait by ordering online. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom