Possible roo?

Sclark0012

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Hatched from my own chicken's eggs. Dad is an ameraucana/EE mix and mom is a Plymouth rock. I read that with rocks you can tell gender by coloring, big white patch on head. This one is 3 weeks old and comb getting some pink. Can I confirm this is a roo (cockerel.. lol) by the coloring?? Thanks!
20210620_200745.jpg
20210620_200749.jpg

I believe if you cross a barred female with a non barred male, it will make a black sex link and only the males will be barred. So based on that I’m saying male

Hatched from my own chicken's eggs. Dad is an ameraucana/EE mix and mom is a Plymouth rock. I read that with rocks you can tell gender by coloring, big white patch on head. This one is 3 weeks old and comb getting some pink. Can I confirm this is a roo (cockerel.. lol) by the coloring?? Thanks!View attachment 2727458View attachment 2727461
Do you have a picture of the Easter egger father?

That doesn’t make sense to me. I think it works with a non barred dad and a barred mom.
Either way the chook is male.

It will work as long as the father is not barred and the mother is barred no matter if they are a mix or not

But if the dad is such a huge mix of different things, it would be possible that he has a barring gene. I just don't think it's an accurate way to sex a mixed chick like that. The pinkness of the comb is much more accurate in this case.

But if the dad is such a huge mix of different things, it would be possible that he has a barring gene. I just don't think it's an accurate way to sex a mixed chick like that. The pinkness of the comb is much more accurate in this case.
if he has the barring gene, he'd be barred. He could be partially barred, but he'd show barring. So, without pics of the father we can't confirm if he has barring... But if he's a typical ee type with an ameraucana then he wouldn't be barred.

Back
Top Bottom