Possible scaly leg mites?

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
Hi, several of my chickens have raised scales on their legs, do they have scaly leg mites or is this just something that happens to older birds? If this is scaly leg mites, what do I do to treat it? Their legs have been like this for quite a while and it doesn't appear to have gotten worse but I'm a little concerned.

Hello Rae. I'm afraid I made the mistake of not recognizing the old scaly leg, my girl has had it. I soaked her in cider vinegar and warm water then rubbed in olive oil before rubbing in plenty of benonite clay. Almost all gone in less than a week. As for the bumble foot/leg I read honey does the trick, haven't tried that yet.

Pictures would help. The usual treatment is to slather the legs with oil (vegetable, castor, coconut, etc) and then cover with vaseline, 2 to 3 times a week until the scales start to look normal. You are trying to smother the mites. It can take awhile for improvement depending on the severity. Some birds have dry scales or just aren't as 'pretty legged' and may be normal, and feather footed breeds can have raised looking scales sometimes without mites.
More info here with pictures:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom