Possible Vent Gleet

Hoytman

Songster
Jun 26, 2018
SW Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
17 birds...just started laying...getting about 8 eggs a day... in a 11'Lx11'Wx7'H coop/run...just finished sleeping quarters/roost up off the floor or run...3'x3'x8'. Tomorrow, under the roost, I'm going to be adding a 3'x8' wire platform under the roost...essentially adding another 24 sq. ft. of run space to the floor space I already have.

I know this run is small, but it going to have to work until spring when I build the new and bigger coop and run.

Had a Brahma hen that got her rear end picked bloody so I separated her for nearly a month in a wire crate while she grew her tail feathers back out. She was looking great.

So 2 days ago I spent all day working in, changed bedding out, and finishing the elevated roost box and she was looking so good I decided to place her back with the flock while I was working. Mainly because I needed to move the wire crate off of the roost platform. I worked up there all day and watched while she was taking to being picked on like before. She beat the crap out of 2 birds that tried to size her up. I figured she'd be OK and when it got near dark I quit work in the run and let the birds go to sleep on the floor as they had been.

Next morning went to feed, every bird looked fine and acting normal. By evening time when I went to water and check on the birds she was underneath a board and wouldn't come out. Naturally it seemed out so I took a stick to try and coax her out and when she did move I could see the other birds had totally plucked out all of her new butt feathers/down and she was real bloody. So, I grabbed her up, removed her from the flock/run, and placed her in the garage in the wire crate.

Next morning I check her and she has a white discharge coming from her vent. Being new to chickens an internet search revealed this may be a yeast infection called, "Vent Gleet".

I'm going to get some plain Greek yogurt and vinegar with the "mother" and try and treat this.

I have one Golden Laced Wyandotte with a bare rump, but no discharge or blood...she's been this way for a month.

I recently acquired wooden shipping crates that will allow me to separate some birds and make more room in the coop/run. Those crates are 3'x6'x5'...I think I can put a divider into each crate essentially making each crate have two floors...or 36 sq.ft. per floor. I could potentially put 4 birds per crate...this would ease tensions in my big coop/run and allow more floor space per bird.

I'm going to get some vinegar with the "mother" tomorrow, but I have plain apple cider vinegar now. I wonder if that will work until I get the other tomorrow?

Does anyone else have any suggestions on additional treatment?

17 birds...just started laying...getting about 8 eggs a day... in a 11'Lx11'Wx7'H coop/run...just finished sleeping quarters/roost up off the floor or run...3'x3'x8'. Tomorrow, under the roost, I'm going to be adding a 3'x8' wire platform under the roost...essentially adding another 24 sq. ft. of run space to the floor space I already have.

I know this run is small, but it going to have to work until spring when I build the new and bigger coop and run.

Had a Brahma hen that got her rear end picked bloody so I separated her for nearly a month in a wire crate while she grew her tail feathers back out. She was looking great.

So 2 days ago I spent all day working in, changed bedding out, and finishing the elevated roost box and she was looking so good I decided to place her back with the flock while I was working. Mainly because I needed to move the wire crate off of the roost platform. I worked up there all day and watched while she was taking to being picked on like before. She beat the crap out of 2 birds that tried to size her up. I figured she'd be OK and when it got near dark I quit work in the run and let the birds go to sleep on the floor as they had been.

Next morning went to feed, every bird looked fine and acting normal. By evening time when I went to water and check on the birds she was underneath a board and wouldn't come out. Naturally it seemed out so I took a stick to try and coax her out and when she did move I could see the other birds had totally plucked out all of her new butt feathers/down and she was real bloody. So, I grabbed her up, removed her from the flock/run, and placed her in the garage in the wire crate.

Next morning I check her and she has a white discharge coming from her vent. Being new to chickens an internet search revealed this may be a yeast infection called, "Vent Gleet".

I'm going to get some plain Greek yogurt and vinegar with the "mother" and try and treat this.

I have one Golden Laced Wyandotte with a bare rump, but no discharge or blood...she's been this way for a month.

I recently acquired wooden shipping crates that will allow me to separate some birds and make more room in the coop/run. Those crates are 3'x6'x5'...I think I can put a divider into each crate essentially making each crate have two floors...or 36 sq.ft. per floor. I could potentially put 4 birds per crate...this would ease tensions in my big coop/run and allow more floor space per bird.

I'm going to get some vinegar with the "mother" tomorrow, but I have plain apple cider vinegar now. I wonder if that will work until I get the other tomorrow?

Does anyone else have any suggestions on additional treatment?
I found a great article with lots of good advice. Hope its helpful and your hen gets better!
http://www.birdhealth.com.au/vent-gleet

Girl seemed herself this morning. She was singing at me this morning during feeding and watering time. Wasn't as timid as when I had to put her in the wire crate. Didn't seen anything running from her backside this morning, but then again I didn't really take the time to look...was in a hurry to leave the house this morning. Hopefully can check her again at noon. If not, it'll be evening before I can check her.

She's now in the garage, but I wonder if I should put her back in with the flock...wire crate and all?

Girl seemed herself this morning. She was singing at me this morning during feeding and watering time. Wasn't as timid as when I had to put her in the wire crate. Didn't seen anything running from her backside this morning, but then again I didn't really take the time to look...was in a hurry to leave the house this morning. Hopefully can check her again at noon. If not, it'll be evening before I can check her.

She's now in the garage, but I wonder if I should put her back in with the flock...wire crate and all?

Happy to hear she seems better! I think its always better if they can be near their flock,at least be able to see them. But do keep in mind the article says treatment for VG is a time sensitive thing,and terminal if untreated. Keep checking her vent and do keep her in wire cage. Sounds like you are staying on top of things. Good luck!

A photo of the “white stuff” would be very helpful. If you could have someone hold while you took a couple of views of her back end then we could see what’s going on.
Have you looked at the condition of her vent?

EDITED:

No I have not looked at her vent, other than seeing the runny white stuff coming from her vent. I did take the time to do some searching and from the pictures I seen of Vent Gleet I am sure that is what it is.

All I did yesterday...day before...don't recall...been too busy...is removed her from flock and put her in wire cage in the garage, then applied some Blue-Kote to her bare rear-end.

I'm getting ready to go home for lunch, so I will be able to check her, give her some Greek Yogurt and some vinegar.

No way at this time to take this bird to a vet. Just not possible. So, I have no way of getting meds unless a vet can call something in to a pharmacy.

If it is vent gleet you could apply some athletes foot cream to her vent area. It would be nice if you could soak and clean her. Or at the very least trim the nasty feathers off. Her skin could become inflamed and raw from the gleet. There’s also advice to add molasses to her water.
If you let the bacteria go with out treatment it could travel thru her reproductive system and become serious.
There’s many suggestions when you research gleet. This is just mine. Best wishes

Thanks for the extra tips. I am still researching, but I need to go get something done to her here in a bit...and get going on this.

By the way...in case you missed it...the other birds already picked her newly re-grown feathers off. Spent nearly a month in a wire cage from pecking once before...had her looking great and in 9 hours they stripped her again...so her rear is bare already. It wasn't until the day after I placed her back in the wire cage that I noticed white runny smelly stuff running from her vent...thus prompted my research and posts.

EDITED:

No I have not looked at her vent, other than seeing the runny white stuff coming from her vent. I did take the time to do some searching and from the pictures I seen of Vent Gleet I am sure that is what it is.

All I did yesterday...day before...don't recall...been too busy...is removed her from flock and put her in wire cage in the garage, then applied some Blue-Kote to her bare rear-end.

I'm getting ready to go home for lunch, so I will be able to check her, give her some Greek Yogurt and some vinegar.

No way at this time to take this bird to a vet. Just not possible. So, I have no way of getting meds unless a vet can call something in to a pharmacy.
The Quik gel is not an Rx. Available as per this link
https://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_quikgel.php

Back
Top Bottom