Possible Wry Neck - what to do? Please help.

Star gazing or wry neck is a vitamin B issue. I gave my Emu poultry vitamins. If you are going to go to TSC you can either pick up the yellow bottle of Life-Lytes which has the vitamin pills under the bottle label or you can get Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. If her head is only going backwards you should be able to get her to drink it without giving it orally, just hold your hand out flat above her head so it can't go backwards. If you need to give orally then use a syringe and a tube and give a couple CC/ML be sure to squeeze the syringe slowly so it doesn't come back up and go down the trachea.

Last edited:
She is able to drink on her own thank goodness! This morning I made up a very wet mash and she showed a healthy interest in it. I put vitamins in both her food & water. I'm hoping we don't have to go the feeding tube route but we will see what the day brings. She is considerably more relaxed now that she is by herself and is not staying in the extreme position that I originally posted in the photo. As long as I don't try to handle her too much she does not mind me being in the pen with her at this point and she remains relaxed.
Yoda I did not see anything like Life-Lytes at my TSC but I did pick up a bottle of Durvet. I'm using Durvet in her water and a high quality human vitamin supplement for her food that contains selenium, Vitamin E, & several B vitamins among other things.

Jeanette

Star gazing or wry neck is a vitamin B issue. I gave my Emu poultry vitamins. If you are going to go to TSC you can either pick up the yellow bottle of Life-Lytes which has the vitamin pills under the bottle label or you can get Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. If her head is only going backwards you should be able to get her to drink it without giving it orally, just hold your hand out flat above her head so it can't go backwards. If you need to give orally then use a syringe and a tube and give a couple CC/ML be sure to squeeze the syringe slowly so it doesn't come back up and go down the trachea.

Good news! Sounds like she's doing pretty well.
clap.gif

Please keep us posted about your pretty girl.

Glad the vitamins are working for her. She should be fine in a few days. If you get any other bird that has wry neck or star gazing you will now know the cure for it. This is what my TSC carries that you couldn't find:

X2! Slowly is the key...

UPDATE on Princess

I did not take her to the Vet yesterday because she has been eating & drinking on her own. Granted she has probably not been getting the amounts of food & water that she normally would but she has been consistent.
This morning when I went out to check on her it was obvious that she had been eating what I left out overnight because she had dried food on her beak. (I've been feeding her a very wet mash with added vitamins.) I cleaned out that old food and gave her fresh and she started eating/drinking it right away. The other really positive thing was that she is sitting squarely on her haunches this morning and not leaning sideways with her feet curled. I realize she is probably not out of the woods just yet but I am very encouraged by what I'm seeing right now. I will continue the vitamins & electrolytes for a while yet or at least until she is standing on her own. At the moment I am a Happy Camper!
thumbsup.gif

This is really wonderful! Good work!
wee.gif

Although it sounds like you may not need the vet after all, I wonder if the vet might be able to give her some supplement that would be more effective than what you can give her?

The vitamin preparation that I am giving her has over 2 dozen vitamins, minerals, & amino acids in it so I doubt I'd get anything better from the Vet. (don't mean to sound snotty :) I am also putting a vitamin/electrolyte preparation in her water that I got from TSC. Day before yesterday I added Cayenne to the vitamins in her food since it has healing properties all its own. I'll keep posting updates.

This is really wonderful! Good work!
wee.gif

Although it sounds like you may not need the vet after all, I wonder if the vet might be able to give her some supplement that would be more effective than what you can give her?

Back
Top Bottom