Possibly egg bound bantam EE

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
I have a year old bantam EE hen that I noticed was not looking good yesterday. She kept soaking herself in a puddle next to the duck pool. I tried to catch her but she was still quick enough to get away. I got her this morning and inspected her and thought I could feel that she was egg bound. I soaked her in warm water for about an hour and now I have her wrapped in a towel on a heat pad.
Right below her vent it looks and feels like a big soft shell egg. How safe is it to go in with a finger and check? I was looking at her vent but I am unsure of how to go about it and I do not want to hurt her anymore than she already is.

Last edited:
I have a year old bantam EE hen that I noticed was not looking good yesterday. She kept soaking herself in a puddle next to the duck pool. I tried to catch her but she was still quick enough to get away. I got her this morning and inspected her and thought I could feel that she was egg bound. I soaked her in warm water for about an hour and now I have her wrapped in a towel on a heat pad.
Right below her vent it looks and feels like a big soft shell egg. How safe is it to go in with a finger and check? I was looking at her vent but I am unsure of how to go about it and I do not want to hurt her anymore than she already is.

It could be other things, but ... here's a link to my favorite article on egg binding. ~'-)

Right at her vent it is very swollen and soft. Not inflamed looking but looks like there is a big egg right there.

Thanks for the links, they are very informative.

How do you administer the pills?

Right at her vent it is very swollen and soft. Not inflamed looking but looks like there is a big egg right there.

Thanks for the links, they are very informative.

How do you administer the pills?
Open mouth and place at back of tongue. Hold until you're sure it's been swallowed. The latest one I did this to was a 1 pound Old English and she swallowed them just fine.

Open mouth and place at back of tongue. Hold until you're sure it's been swallowed. The latest one I did this to was a 1 pound Old English and she swallowed them just fine.

Lesson in how I've been missin' stuff:

I glanced, seein' about this much ...

Originally Poste
Right at her vent it is very swollen and sof
Thanks for the links, th

Followed by ...

Open mouth and place at back of tongue. Hold until you're sure

huhwhhaAATT? Yeah ... goin' to bed early tonight ~'-)

Lesson in how I've been missin' stuff:

I glanced, seein' about this much ...

Originally Poste
Right at her vent it is very swollen and sof
Thanks for the links, th

Followed by ...

Open mouth and place at back of tongue. Hold until you're sure

huhwhhaAATT? Yeah ... goin' to bed early tonight ~'-)
Doh! Yes, calcium and D by mouth, not in the "other" hole, lol!

Doh! Yes, calcium and D by mouth, not in the "other" hole, lol!

In my defense, I'd just finished some *very* heavy reading of studies, in which they'd used that as an entry point, so as to intentionally and more evenly infect broilers w/ cecal worms. Naturally, that sorta thing takes a while to clear from one's head ~'-)

LOL I knew it was orally administered and not the other end. I was wondering more like crush up the pills or if they are liquid capsules to squeeze out the gel or whatever but I got it now. Just like giving a dog a pill - put it at the back of the tongue and make sure they swallow.

Thanks again

She looks really bad and the swollen area looks even bigger now. I was feeling to see if another egg is trying to come out too but I don't know what I'm feeling.

Back
Top Bottom