Possibly sick rooster PICS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PippyChicken, Dec 31, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I just got this little fellow yesterday and it seems today he might be sick. [​IMG] I thought he was kinda acting funny yesterday..
    Symptoms are
    :eyes closing:
    :runny eyes & nose:
    :kinda lifting his beak open and head up:

BUT he has been fighting with the other rooster I got yesterday..

Here's the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's acting okay when I put him down on the ground.Right now he is in a box in the shop because I'm not sure if he can spread it and I don't want him fighting.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Runny nose and eyes? I'd return him where you got him immediately. Those are some signs of respiratory illness, which can be treated, but often render a bird a carrier for life. You may infect your whole flock if they have something contagious.

From the pic I see nothing that stands out, but he does seem pretty exhausted. If he has been fighting that could be the reason for his exhaustion, but...I would rather be safe than sorry. The roo he was fighting with should also be quarantined to make sure he didn't get infected. If you got both the roos from the same source then I would return them. No point in risking bringing in an illness.

Good luck.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm sorry for your poor roo - I would start him on TYlan 50 for five days.....................

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yes, he is sick. Treat him and the rest of your flock with an antibiotic treatment for respiratory illness. Contact the seller to let them know that he is sick just a day after purchase and hopefully they will make things right.

In the future, quarantine all new flock members for at least 30 days before introducing them to your flock.

5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Sounds like Merecks disease

6. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Okay thanks everyone! I have some Duramycin 10 something like that,that treats respiratory infections.I will add it to there water. Him and 3 other birds were added into a coop all by themselves with no other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by