Possibly sour crop? Need help

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
I noticed on Wednesday 12/23 my Cochin girl looked a little extra poofed, specifically her head/neck area (I’ll attach all photos I have) and noticed her butt was pretty poopy. It’s a cold Northern California day, so I took her in for a warm bath and blow dry. She had a distinct smell, it wasn’t like normal chicken poop smell. It still smelt bad. I checked her vent, and it wasn’t red or swollen, it maybe looked a little pinched, but I don’t remember what hers specifically looks like normally. Normal colour/movement..

She closed her eyes in content during her bath and the blow dry. I wrapped her in a towel and took her out to the coop. When I was putting her down, I must’ve pressed on her crop, as quite a lot of yellow goo (stunk soo bad) came out of her mouth. It almost had a yolk looksmell, very gross and distinct though. I have never experienced that before, so without putting her fully down I went and got her her own cage with some towels.

I did a quick internet search, and sounded like sour crop. I fasted her the first day and got her on a monistat regimen (3 day suppository cut in half). The first day,while trying to give her the dose, I inadvertently pressed on her crop as more yellow goo came out (and I saw more on her towels). She seemed more perky on the second day, but today is the 6th day (last dose of monistat) and I’m not too convinced she’s doing okay. Her butt is reeeeeally poopy again. I don’t know if this is sour crop, or what. I need help.

She still comes out with the rest of the flock, she drinks and has interest in food (not sure how much she’s actually getting) and still a little slow moving. Her crop (I always feel in the morning) still feels like a warm sac, a little squishy. Pretty warm. When I separated the feathers it didn’t look bright red or anything.

day 1:
2396EF1D-8257-4951-994D-B298F1126E04.jpeg
4F174247-2F4A-4820-9EDD-FD1743E445A1.jpeg

Day 6:
82B10B6A-10AF-4402-9185-A93EAFF67171.jpeg
44AC7DCD-5C57-40CC-93BD-2278EC148A9D.jpeg

thanks for taking the time to read this, if you can help me, please do. I love her dearly, my bell bottomed girl <3

The easiest way to put oil into a chicken without it getting all over you and the chicken is to measure out a teaspoon of coconut oil, then divide it into pea size pieces, then chill them until they are solid. Pry open the beak and slip them into the mouth one at a time. The chicken will easily swallow them. Quick and easy.

I can try for a photo closer to bed, they are out free ranging right now.

From her bath day - no missing feathers, no waddle that I’ve noticed. She has interest in food, but I’m not sure she’s getting much, if anything. Like she’s going through the motions, when I offer treats and put the food out. She’ll peck at it.

No, she’s definitely not heavier, maybe even a little lighter. And no to the stretching her neck further to eat, from what I’ve seen her posture while eating is the same as always

Ok, it could be the start of water belly. I'm not too familiar with sour crop. Here, I'm tagging the person who helped me diagnose my first hen that had water belly, if it's water belly, perhaps she can help you more, and- if it's not water belly, she can help you know what it is. :) @Eggcessive

@Lacy Duckwing thank you so much for trying to help me :)

when I gave her last dose of monistat this evening, more yellow stuff came out of her mouth (oh my goodness it smells so bad, it doesn’t leave you). I tried palpating her abdomen but only felt feathers (she is seriously fluffy) but may get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help me.

@Lacy Duckwing thank you so much for trying to help me :)

when I gave her last dose of monistat this evening, more yellow stuff came out of her mouth (oh my goodness it smells so bad, it doesn’t leave you). I tried palpating her abdomen but only felt feathers (she is seriously fluffy) but may get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help me.

The easiest thing to do is to compare her to other hens. Once everyone is on the roost tonight, feel around their breast bones and lower abdomens. The difference, if there is one, will stand out. Hens with ascities (waterbelly) frequently have lost weight - and the breastbone will be more prominent. Whatever the cause- liver failure, heart failure, the beginnings of EYP, the extra fluid takes up space, leaving less room for digestion and stressing the organs further. Those can sometimes be improved by draining them with a needle.

Now- if this is just a crop issue, that's something else all together. It is possible to vomit a hen, you've already done this by accident a couple of times. It does carry the very serious possibility of sending the crop contents down the windpipe, I want to be exceedingly clear about that. Sometimes just expelling the disgusting stuff can help change the tide, then you can feel if there's some obstruction keeping her from digesting food, or some other problem.

This is my "crop bible" that goes over pretty much every possibility in crop issues and what to do about it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Yes, I’ve read that about the vomiting, I didn’t want to have to do that, I’m hoping the accidental vomits help, but not so sure since it’s been 6 days of monistat and still going on.. hmm.
Thank you for that article! I will be reading through that for some extra guidance.

Yes, give it a good read- there's lots of great stuff in there.

It can be scary- that's for sure, and the risks are clear. I had one recently that nothing moved for 2 days until I did it- poor girl was so full up I think it was kinda like a stopped up toilet - sort of like needing a plunger. There was no massaging that one til some stuff came out. It ended up being a small obstruction that she cleared on her own once I took about 1/2 to 2/3 of it out via vomiting. Anyhow- hope you find the secret magic formula for helping your hen get back to full health!

Back
Top Bottom