Possibly stupid question- Horse supplement to boost aminos in feed?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
Again this might be a stupid question, but I was looking at some old horse supplements I used to use and there is one called Tri-Amino that is only Lysine, Methionine and Threonine. I was thinking, could this potentially be added to feed to increase the amino content? If this isn’t a dumb question what would that ratio look like for say a 50lb bag of feed? Now let me clarify my chickens are already on a 20% flock maker and I am not currently looking to bump their protein. I am simply curious if something like this might be better than other protein boosters on the market.
CF8535BF-9444-4B50-A297-22D1C63C3012.jpeg

Yes it can.
How much to add would be a factor of what you are most looking to increase, and how much.

For instance, lets say you had a 50# bag of feed with a 0.3 Met level, and you really want a o.4 met level. 50# is 22,680g (or close enough). If your current met level is 0.3%, there's about 68g of Met in the bag. You want to increase that by 1/3 to go from 0.3 to 0.4, about 25 g, or 5 scoops.

Technically, 5 scoops also adds 100g total weight, so your new calculation is 68 g (prior + 25 g (added) = 93 g Met and your new total weight is 22,680 (the orginal 50#) + 100 (weight of 20 scoops)= 22,780g .

93 / 22,780 = 0.4083% Met. Close enough.

You've also added about 0.21% Lysine, and about 0.02% Threonine.

If you were producing commercially here in the US, there are legal limits in how much DL-Met a bird can consume over a given period. You are now most likely in excess, but you aren't producing commercially, those limits don't apply to you.

Yes it can.
How much to add would be a factor of what you are most looking to increase, and how much.

For instance, lets say you had a 50# bag of feed with a 0.3 Met level, and you really want a o.4 met level. 50# is 22,680g (or close enough). If your current met level is 0.3%, there's about 68g of Met in the bag. You want to increase that by 1/3 to go from 0.3 to 0.4, about 25 g, or 5 scoops.

Technically, 5 scoops also adds 100g total weight, so your new calculation is 68 g (prior + 25 g (added) = 93 g Met and your new total weight is 22,680 (the orginal 50#) + 100 (weight of 20 scoops)= 22,780g .

93 / 22,780 = 0.4083% Met. Close enough.

You've also added about 0.21% Lysine, and about 0.02% Threonine.

If you were producing commercially here in the US, there are legal limits in how much DL-Met a bird can consume over a given period. You are now most likely in excess, but you aren't producing commercially, those limits don't apply to you.
Thank you that is very helpful and good to know for the future!

I've often wanted to ask when you mention this... why is DL-Methionine limited?
Is the synthetic different enough from the natural version to cause problems?

Back
Top Bottom