possibly the best idea we have had yet! new waterer concept

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bethandjoeync, Mar 10, 2011.

  1. bethandjoeync

    bethandjoeync Songster

    Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    We have 50 chickens, most of them are larger breeds. and we have the plastic 3 gallon waterer that we are not so satisfied with anymore. it leaks, and it gets pretty heavy once it's filled up to the rim with water. then they run out bfore the day is over. we really needed to figure something else out before the weather got to warm and they started going thru more water than they are now. so we started looking into the drinker cups or nipples, but they can get expensive! so we had to brain storm. and between the two of us we came up with this idea! the best part is that all of this costs around $20!

    here is what we have now

    materials needed(all found in the plumbing section of LOWES):
    1 1/2in-90 degree elbows (we decided 5 was enough for everyone)
    1 1/2in pvc pipe (a 5 ft piece was plenty for us)
    1 1/2in T's(one for every elbow)
    all purpose cement good for pvc
    red spray paint
    bucket(in our case 5 gallon size should work perfectly)
    1/2 in pvc and 1/2 in elbows
    flexible pipe hanger to mount it in the coop

    we haven't mounted it in the coop yet, but will this weekend when it stops raining and everyone can go outside. here is what we have so far. this should work with the same concept as the waterer that probably most of us have, gravity fed, and replenishes the water when low. no pumps needed.

    these are the elbows that we painted red to attract the girls to the drinkers

    here are the T's already glued to the pipe pieces. we decided 10 inches between them would be a good space to let two chickens at each drinker if they want

    you will need 1 1/2 long spacers to get the T's and the elbows to glue together

    here is what it looks like glued together. you can't even see the spacer

    here is the whole thing!

    on one end you can cap off but we decided to put a clean out valve so i can clean it as needed. also on the other end you will need a piece that will reduce the 1 1/2 inch pvc to 1/2 in pvc that will run to the bucket(s). we figure this will refill the water slower and have less "gluggs" as they drink up. we will also need to make a "step stool" for the bantams to get up to the waterer....that way they don't jump on the pipe.

    I will update this post as we get more done.

    what do y'all think?!(we are super excited to put this in the coop)
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. skunknchatter

    skunknchatter Songster

    Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    A little enginuity and some elbow grease and you've got an amazing chx waterer! I love it!
  3. bigkenny77

    bigkenny77 In the Brooder

    Feb 25, 2011
    Antioch CA
    it looks awesome but will it fly . thanks for the ideas . I will be watching to see how it turns out good luck

  4. Neil Grassbaugh

    Neil Grassbaugh Songster

    Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:So is the fluid dynamics engineer.
  5. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    That is really neat!

  6. krcote

    krcote Songster

    May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Wish we could use things like that where it is cold [​IMG]
  7. DenverBird

    DenverBird Songster

    Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Looks great!

    If you're concerned about minimizing your intake of plasticizers and organic chemicals, I'd highly recommend letting it air out and cure for a couple of days then doing a good rinse, maybe letting it sit with water in it for another day or so and then discarding the water in it. this will help you get rid of the nasty organic solvents in the glues and also help get rid of the "first flush" plastics that will leach into the water from the pipe.


    VI KING RANCH Songster

    Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    You needed the mountain dew to get through it though didn't you [​IMG]
  9. bethandjoeync

    bethandjoeync Songster

    Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we will definitely have to insulate the piping during the winter, but we are finished with consistant freezing temps for the season.
  10. bethandjoeync

    bethandjoeync Songster

    Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:lol yeah sure did!

    nah it was empty and we used it to fill the pipe with water to check for leaks.

    thanks for the info. we will let it sit for a bit. it is so rainy here anyways, and we still have a few more things to do to have it ready for the coop. and we have a busy weekend already ahead of us. should be lots of drying time and will definitely do a "first flush"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: