Possibly vent gleet?

Quote:
Let the OP know where to get it tested!
Okay... any vet can check it under a scope. Cost should be no more than $35 for just a smear, but many will not do smears unless the also see the bird, so add $45-$65 for the cost of an office visit.

Another option would be to send a sample to a state lab for testing, that should be much less expensive, though they cannot prescribe any medications.

State Vets

State Labs

-Kathy

Last edited:
Culling is always an option. In my case I will start with a thorough worming and maybe amoxicillin (125mg/kg twice a day). If it gets worse, I'll know it's yeast and not bacteria.
big_smile.png
I

-Kathy

Not me, I'd cull in a heartbeat.
Gleet is not a disease per se'. Just like you get diarrhea a chickens system can be put off because of all the non chicken treats we give them. IMO

Restoring the Flora with ACV, yogurt, and probiotics can set things right.

Gleet is not a thing to cull for since it's improper care that most likely caused it. Unclean conditions can bring it on. My birds have it I suspect because they got popcorn and the area is too wet. It's important to keep things as dry as possible.

Some pictures are extreme and I suspect have been neglected for some time.

Too, I suspect chickens do not get enough natural insoluble grit and folks cheap out on buying it. It's needed to keep things moving through the gut.

I noticed it in my hen awhile ago, but have been dealing with horses trying to colic and peafowl with blackhead, so I ignored her.
hide.gif
Grit, mine get plenty free ranging.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom