Possum in the run

bsruther

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Northern Kentucky
We have been seeing a Possum wandering around the back yard for a few weeks now while we sit out on the patio in the evening, right around dusk. Never thought much of it, since the coop was always closed up by then.

Tonight, we were sitting out there a little earlier and saw the top of something walking through the drainage ditch, towards the coop. At first the wife said Skunk, I said nah, it's that Possum. Then he emerged from the ditch and I was right.

He made his way to the coop and circled around it. The chickens were still out and they were just staring at him. After he circled the coop, he just walked right under the fencing, like he had done it many times before.

It's been a long cold winter and I haven't looked to closely at the run and never knew there was a security breech.

Anyway, the Possum is in the run and we ran over there immediately, yelling at the Possum and trying to give him one last chance to leave. He just stood there, frozen, as Possums do.
The Chickens were standing on the other side of the run, staring at him, as if it was no big deal. Our Chickens are very fat and lazy, so this was no surprise.

So I said Ok, that's it, I gave him a chance. I went in the house and got the 10/22, came back out and dispatched him, forthwith. The Chickens then went over and looked at him, pecked him a few times and walked up the ramp and went to bed.

We closed the coop door (it closes from outside the run) and scooped him up with a shovel. Carried him up to the woods and tossed him. The Coyotes will eat well tonight.

Check your runs after this long hard winter, never know what you'll find.

I had the same kind of thing happen a couple of weeks ago. My coop is inside the barn, but the barn door stays open in winter for air circulation. I found a possum munching on old egg shells - he didn't seem interested in the chickens and left. Came back the next night, was cornered by the dogs - this time I shot him. I felt bad, but the safety of my animals is supreme.

I had something similar happen with a skunk in the run a couple of weeks back but that was after dark. It’s difficult to shoot in the dark, not because I couldn’t see the target but because I couldn’t see the sights. I now have a headband flashlight I’ll grab next time it’s dark to see if that helps. Still with the 12 gauge, it worked out. I knew there were no cattle in that pasture at the time.

I found a possum in the coop right at dusk a few years back but that was when they were free ranging, not enclosed in electric netting. I used a shovel to dispatch it as well as carry it away. If I can I try to use the gun as a last resort, not the first, but with a skunk…..

That’s a very good point about checking for a breech. With the skunk, a strong wind had blown my electric netting supports up out of the wet ground enough so the skunk could get underneath in a couple of different places.

I found one this morning munching on a chicken in a low nesting box, poor chicken had been recovering from an unrelated wound and couldn't run away fast enough. The other chickens managed to get away unharmed. I cornered the possum in the nesting box and eventually managed to get rid of him with shovel. Those little guys are tough! From what I can tell he snuck in through the gated area of my electric fence and probably couldn't find his way out. He gone now...just hope his friends don't come too.

Way to go Kitty!!
thumbsup.gif

I like possums, I think they're a pretty cool animal. But when I catch them in my chickens pens they die.
Before the possum got in the run, we were entertained and amused by it. At times, he would actually come within 100ft of us.
I have a live and let live policy with all of the wild animals around here. But as soon as they threaten or destroy any property of mine, it's over.
That includes the squirrels that pluck a ripe tomato, take one bite out of it and throw it down.

Back
Top Bottom