Possum proof or nah?

Adorkable

Songster
9 Years
Sep 23, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has had a possum fit through this 2x4" wire fencing?

I'm hoping to use this for an open air coop over some cattle panels to make a hoop house for some guinea fowl.

This is the same fencing... just a little bent. I've been using a piece of it to keep the guineas from flying out of the brooder.

I personally would not use that fencing a small possum could fit through it and other things like mice.

One thing to note about 'welded' garden fence like that is that bigger predators like dogs and larger raccons can actually break the welds fairly easily and gain entry...

It would stop a grown possum, but it won't provide any protection against smaller predators like weasels or minks or larger more determined predators that can break the welds... Coons even if they don't get entry can reach into that 2x4 opening and grab the birds, and and proceed to rip the birds apart into pieces that fit through...

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, but I was just wondering if it will keep possums out. I know racoons can rip through it easily, but the coons wont be able to get through the 2x4 wire and their roosting area will be protected with hardware cloth as well as the 24inches closest to the ground.

but the coons wont be able to get through the 2x4 wire

Raccoons can in fact get through that 2x4 welded fencing, as the welds break fairly easily, not much of a challenge for a large coon or k9...

Try this grab a section of the 4" long wire in that fence in the middle between two fingers and bend/wiggle it left to right like you are trying to break in, you will probably find a weld fails or the wire breaks in about 15 minutes time...

**At the end of the day possums should be low on your predator concern list with adult birds, possums are not resourceful, they are generally lazy and would much prefer stumbling upon something small, already dead, a cat/dog food dish left outside or digging through a trash can that something else knocked over vs gaining entry to a chicken coop to attack full sized chickens or guineas... Of course if there is a shortage of food all bets are off...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom