Possum... yikes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Smithyard Farm, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    [​IMG]

look what greeted me this evening...

Guess I'm gonna have to get a trap or two. This is the first itme I have seen one up close. Lived here 14 years... We recently had to put our dog down, Guess this guy thinks the coast is clear.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

How much is your camera zoomed in for those pictures? Wow that li'l guy looks a bit too close for comfort. I bet your coop doesn't have rats or mice in it because of that little guy, though.

3. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    I was actually in the coop, the fence he is on is about 2 1/2 feet from the back - I was pretty close to him....

[​IMG]

this picture shows the fence a little better

[​IMG]

4. CluckyCharms

Beautiful coop!! I'd say that's definitely a close call...yeh. He doesn't seem to bothered that you see him though (at least from those pictures) which is strange...I wonder if there's someone in your area that's been feeding him? Anyone with kids? lol

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I hate possums. They don't seem to be afraid of anything.

6. CluckyCharms

The opossums we get here are. :] lol I step outside and they tear off right quick.

7. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
  8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If you trap him and relocate him, or badly scare him, chances are pretty good he won't come back. That's been our experience anyway.

He is looking for a meal, and you cant blame him that he sees one.

They will do a lot of damage though, to the chickens. We had one two years ago that trapped our old rooster in the tractor, he was in there with a pullet.
    The possum trapped killed and totally consumed both of them...feet, feathers, and all. there was literally nothing left. Then he fell asleep in
    a trash can in our barn. We tossed him out of the trash can and he rolled down a hill, got up, and waddled away. never came back.
    We have badly scared others, with the same result.

9. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    You have my sympathies. I am dealing with a possum right now myself. I'm on day two of my attempt to trap him. Its not as easy as I thought it would be. I just hope we don't loose any of our hens before we catch our possums. I'm trying to use the have a heart traps with tuna cans for bait.

So far, no joy.

Riki

10. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    I was looking over these cage traps. As far as I can tell there is no way of opening it without getting in mauling distance. I don't see a way to open it while the animal is still alive without being bitten. Opening these cage traps normally when empty is a slow fumbling and cumbersome. I cant imagine adding a animal trying to bite you to the process. My possum will sadly have to be drown. Its a crappy way to die, but I'm in a city center so guns are out, and a BB gun isn't humane. so its dropping the cage into a water vat unless you have any better suggestions.

Riki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by