Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I only wash the dirty ones, and that's just before I use them.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't wash my eggs, not the ones I keep for our own use nor the ones that I sell.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I don't wash either. I will wash a dirty one before I use it.

4. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I don't wash them because I rarely have a dirty egg. At our old place we didn't have a good set-up and sometimes the eggs would be dirty. I would wash them right before I used them. MIL was visiting last year and she was horrified. She washed two dozen eggs one day while I was at work. I came home and threw them out. She was terribly offended! I guess she got over it. She also thought eating eggs from our own chickens was nasty. go figure

(I like my MIL)

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2 like someone else said got enough around here to wash.

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I don't wash mine until I am about to use them. Mine sit on my counter, too.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I haven't had a dirty egg yet. Sometimes a piece of straw sticks to the wet egg and I peel that away but otherwise, no cleaning. I also feed my kids eggs with runny yolks. [​IMG]

8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Quote:I agree:)

9. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I rinse the eggs off if they appear dirty. I also keep them in the fridge, I just don't have the counter space to even consider keeping them out and there's no way my husband would eat them if they sat out. I can't get my girls to lay in our nest they insist on laying on the floor where they sleep. I clean it every morning so there isn't any poop where they lay the eggs not to say that they can't poop but generally it's cleaner. Such is life.

10. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    No washing here, not the ones we sell, the ones we give away, or the ones we eat ourselves. Every once in a while one will have a shred of nest material stuck to it, but I just pick that off. When I hand a customer or neighbor their eggs I say "we don't wash the eggs, you may want to, or not. Enjoy!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by