Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 20, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:this exactly.
    even on the duck eggs and those can be muddy. silly ducks... just won't wipe their feet before going in the nest.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Nope, don't wash 'em....if they have any poop on them I feed them to the dogs waiting ever so patiently outside the coop. I collect several times a day & put them in the fridge.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Out of 70 eggs, tow have had a smudge of dirt, not poop. Just wiped it off with a damp paper towel. All the other go from the nest to the fridge, my hens lay clean eggs. [​IMG]

Have laundry & dishes to wash, not eggs. [​IMG]

4. BigBird31

BigBird31 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    i don't normally clean them but it is definitly something i should consider:)

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Its not that I WON'T eat them. I get enough eggs where we don't miss the dirty ones. Even though I share them with the chickens and dog I still have enough to share with my neighbors and family. So I figure, why give myself the extra chore of cleaning them when they can benefit my animals too.

Same attitude I have here, and my dogs coats look really good!!

6. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    growing up we used a scotchbrite pad to buff off dried poop and other impefections. eggs then went in cartons to sale for neighbors. works great nice shiny eggs.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Never wash eggs that I eat or sell unless I get a rare dirty one, in which case that one I'd wash and use ASAP.

8. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I never wash them, brush them off and they go into the carton uless I have real dirty one with poo or mud which is very rare.

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i never wash mine. if they are really dirty i will give them a wipe over with a wet cloth.

10. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I was wondering about this as my mother asked me when I gave her our first give away dozen "am I supposed to wash these or did you?" I had not but I wasn't really sure if I SHOULD before giving them away or selling them to friends. I knew about the bloom but still not sure about the safety of NOT washing them. Is there a salmonella risk if I don't? My gals are all healthy but I am really new to chickens so I'm still not sure what is considered the safe thing to do. I have not been washing them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by