Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

I don't wash clean eggs either.
smile.png

I only wash poopy eggs!
tongue.png

Also leave them on the counter for about a week before they go into containers and into fridge, nobody has gotten sick yet.

Last edited:
So far, they have all been clean as a whistle...at most, a bit of pine shaving sticking to the bloom on the just-laid ones.

These five round out an even dozen two of our girls have laid for us...now I wish our EE would start producing, to add some blue/green to the composition!

8wtJg.jpg

I'm definitely the exception in this thread. After having a granddaughter with immune system issues because of chemo, I wash every single egg (gently and with organic egg cleaner under running hot water), rinse, pat dry and refrigerate immediately. The eggs are delicious and they're eaten so quickly that the bloom - or lack thereof - isn't an issue. My reasoning is that regardless of how clean they "look" - you can't see bacteria and the hens that lay the eggs walk into the nest box to lay the eggs - and you know what their feet have been walking on - no matter how clean the coop, pen or run are kept. I rarely get an egg that doesn't look clean either. My reasoning for refrigeration is that refrigerated eggs last longer than non-refrigerated eggs - so why not? I do take eggs out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temp before using them in baking or cooking.

I respect everyone's opinion and preference for how to handle their eggs. If you prefer not to wash or refrigerate, that's fine. I'm merely describing what works best for me and my family.

LOL! Just re-read the post title "Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs" - which means, I guess, that I shouldn't post
hide.gif
- or maybe I should start a thread asking who DOES wash/refrigerate clean-looking eggs.
smile.png

However, if someone is new to raising chickens, they might want to see that there are differing opinions about the topic - there are some of us who DO wash and refrigerate our eggs. It's a matter of preference and personal opinion.

Quote:
I agree with that. However, after doing searches there are countless threads about how and when people do wash eggs but I didn't find any specifically asking about NOT washing eggs. That's why I was curious.

I'd just like to point out that bacteria is ubiquitous, it's on every inch of our skin and every surface we touch. Your cell phone or keyboard almost certainly has more E-coli and salmonella than the outside of a fresh chicken egg.

Gosh, how dirty can an egg be? Turn it over and crack on the other side is my motto. The only washed eggs here are the ones that get hard boiled.

When I gave eggs to my contractor, I mentioned the fact that I don't wash them, and he could if he wanted to (DUH!). He looked at me with a bland expression and said, "I only eat the insides."

For some reason, that cracked me up.

Back
Top Bottom