Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 20, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Our chickens never poop in the nesting boxes, therefore I never wash the eggs. My husband always does, right before he cooks them, but that's his business.

2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I wash mine right before using them and that's because I read some where that you should wash them before use. But they have never had poop or dirt on them. They have always been clean.

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I was washing & refrigerating my eggs, but after reading here, I'm not gonna wash them & not refrigerate them...

That is.....IF these lazy molting hens will LAY SOME EGGS!!!!

(I have 1 unwashed egg in a carton on the counter I got yesterday & 3 washed eggs in a carton in the refrigerator. If they don't get busy, I'm gonna have to buy some store eggs....yuck!)

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No washy here! [​IMG] No fridge either.

5. papinator

papinator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Des Moines
    I don't wash mine until just right before I use them, then I just rinse them in some water and crack em open! [​IMG]

6. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    never washed an egg poop or no poop lol

7. Mamaboid

Mamaboid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Muncy Valley, PA
    I don't wash mine, but I do sometimes wipe them with a damp paper towel if they are dirty. Our biggest problem with dirty eggs is we have an egg breaker in our coop somewhere and I cannot find her/him. [​IMG] When I do..... well, let's just say fried chicken sounds really good [​IMG]

8. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I obsessively check for eggs multiple times per day. Driving my girls crazy when I open that nest box lid and they're still on the nest. So the only thing I've found stuck on my eggs (besides the hen [​IMG] ) is a few bits of clean shavings stuck to the fresh bloom on the still hot egg.

I brush that off on my way back to the house.

I then weigh each egg in grams (I'm a numbers geek), put the egg in the correct order in the carton in the fridge (I'm a little OCD too), record the egg on my daily spreadsheet.

The only other thing I do is plan how I'm going to use my lovely fresh, clean eggs.

[​IMG]

Deb

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I only wash eggs that I give to friends. I don't want them to to be grossed out by an occassional turdy egg [​IMG]

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    So how do you all keep your eggs so clean if you have never had a poopy egg? Or are you r nest boxes the ones that are slanted so the eggs roll back after they are layed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by