Post office may close this winter?

my boyfreind lives in a tiny little town with nothing but a post office and a tiny gas station. well they are closeing hte post office for good and the worst part is everyone out there has to have a post office box to even recieve mail so now all the residents of this little town are going to have drive to get there mail 30 minutes
barnie.gif
i htink THAT is rediculess!!!

Quote:
Actually the USPS is no longer funded by the government--they just regulate it.

During my son's second tour in Iraq, he was just outside of Bagdhad in a fenced compound. When he had a mission, he went for a few days, or a few weeks from there, and stayed there twiddling his thumbs until he got another mission. He told me that he would like to have a set of golf clubs, as they had plenty of room in the compound to hit ball inside the fence. And the Iraqi's would line the fence watching, so the boys may have tried to get them away from the fence! Anyhoo, this was during the time that you couldn't send anything metal in the mail, or it would be opened to see if it was a bomb, and you just couldn't send alot to Iraq, since it was embargoed. I asked at the post office if I could sent a set of clubs over there to him. She went and asked the postmaster, and I couldn't see his face (good thing) as he said "Golf Clubs? They must not be too busy over there if they can play golf".
smack.gif
I bit my tongue, and I hope every post office across the country closes. Our sons were busy enough he could sit on his fat end doing nothing, instead of hoping his post office didn't have a bomb in it.
rant.gif

That is why they are broke the Government turned off the tap several years ago and it is dying a slow death. I am sure a better ran business will step up to the plate.
Quote:

Quote:

And this is also proof that an organization run and controlled by a union is doomed to failure. They have existed on the union mentality, for way too long and it is embedded in their DNA.

If you go on strike, who are you going to rail against? What would your sign say?

My family up north just had a town meeting yesterday on all the PO's closing in that state. The list is long. It will mean driving long distances to the ones that remain open and that's not so easy with lots of snow & sometimes 40 below. They'll adapt and do what's needed.

Sure hope they don't close mine. There is no house to house service at all in my area. PO boxes only. They are already closed on saturday. Awhile back I saw a list of possible closures and we were not on it. Hope nothing has changed.

Quote:
The newest? list to those under consideration here in AZ is: http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/expandedaccess/states/arizona.htm Hoping it's still the same for your area.

Our family owned the general store & PO (in a medium size town just a few minutes from Sturgis) for several generations but that PO is one due to be shut down, if it wasn't yesterday, along with possibly 80 others in the state. Nobody gets house delivery there, either. The very rural areas seem the hardest hit.

Last edited:
I guess I'll saddle up my horses and deliver my packages pony express!

I think they will have to adjust to some major changes, the same as everyone else in the country has. Cutbacks on the extras and revamp the whole shebang! Maybe new private shipping companies will evolve and make shipping and delivery faster and better. I hope so. It definetly will affect me. I ship my products to my customers. I have seen a decline in my business due to the increased shipping costs over the last 5 years. I have already scaled back and am selling items locally. Shipping can be a major hassle.
I've often wondered. Here in NC, we have a lot of poultry and egg farms. However, when you see eggs at the local grocery stores, they usually are shipped in here from Texas. Why? Do NC eggs get shipped to Texas? It just blows my mind.
It is sad to see our country in such a state of chaos......
hu.gif

I ship lots of product from AZ (big ticket items) nation/worldwide and also have product shipped to me routinely from across the U.S./world, mostly from CA, TX (zone 5 to me so not cheap), and sometimes from OR or WA, and several times a year from overseas. For more than 20 years I've developed good relationships worldwide with a variety of carriers...been using UPS, logistics brokers and independent semi's (for shipping local & to various ports for worldwide), along with FedX as needed for smaller parcels.

It might be worth checking into setting up an inexpensive UPS and/or FedX account for local pick ups if they service your area and your volume can offset the minimal monthly cost. My average product shipping cost via door to door flatbed semi is a min of $1000-$1500 to bordering states, and $2500+ to zones 5 and beyond. I never use FOB. I also have reliable customs brokers that handle my imported freight products from overseas that handle all the needed port/dock/container xray fees and handling, etc., and deliver it to me in my state....People know they have to pay shipping costs on top of product cost, but most are not willing to pay for shipping like that if the product they need is available locally for less, unless one offers a superior product. Otherwise, developing a local target market is the way to go and a very wise move.
thumbsup.gif

As distressing as it can be, we all have to adapt and roll with the punches to keep afloat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom