Post office sucks

I didn’t have issues with my local post office because i live in a real rural area, but my chicks did sit in Kansas City, MO for a whole day before going into tracking oblivion. They shipped out Monday, just sat there Tuesday and I got a call yesterday at 10 something from my post office saying the chicks were there while I was two counties over sitting in one of my college lectures. Had to text my brother — who was at work, I might add — and he was luckily in service at the time to get them ( no cellphone service where we live except for a few places scattered in the whole area lol ). He took them home and said he wasn’t going to look at them, but decided to open the box and saw that two of them were on their backs and couldn’t get up and all of them were chilled. The heat pack in with them was completely cold.

He put them in the brooder and said the two that had been on their backs looked lifeless for a good while before perking up. The rest perked back up after warming under the heat lamp for a little bit. They were all still alive at 10pm last night, but I haven’t checked on them this morning yet.

anyways, I’m not too thrilled about shipping in general. My ducklings that shipped all the way from California had a better trip than the ones that were just from Missouri. 2,650 miles vs 744 miles

We lost the another one, it looks like all the belifelders (I think) or maybe Whiting true greens aren't surviving well. We had some pasty butt that I cleaned off. One had it bad, and while I cleaned I notice her vent sort of protruding a bit. Is that normal? What degree of vent picking is normal. There is a really bossy white fluff with a blue dot that keeps picking on everything she sees.

How are they today ?
Good thing you got so many as their warmth probably saved them.

My po, when I asked a few years ago, said they would call at 5am when they got there because they didn't want to listen to them peeping for hours on end. Lol
Ours called at 5am to and told us to be there when it opened at 7am. I think she enjoyed the peeping though that might be the only time I’ve ever seen our post lady smile! We are quite rural and chick shipments are common so our postal workers are very good with handling chick orders. A fact I’m very grateful for.
We lost the another one, it looks like all the belifelders (I think) or maybe Whiting true greens aren't surviving well. We had some pasty butt that I cleaned off. One had it bad, and while I cleaned I notice her vent sort of protruding a bit. Is that normal? What degree of vent picking is normal. There is a really bossy white fluff with a blue dot that keeps picking on everything she sees.
I’m so sorry:hugs

That is so sad. I was thinking of ordering some more ducklings, but maybe I'll try to find some locally instead. Shipping has been terrible this past year. I recently sent something overnight by FedEx and it took over two weeks to arrive at its destination!

That is so sad. I was thinking of ordering some more ducklings, but maybe I'll try to find some locally instead. Shipping has been terrible this past year. I recently sent something overnight by FedEx and it took over two weeks to arrive at its destination!
I know the hatchery will reimburse us. But it is still sad.

One chick has feather loss around neck. What to do?
From what you said earlier it’s probably being bullied by the chick that’s pecking all the others. I think you need to separate the bully chick. Keep it where it can still see and hear the others but separate it for a little while and try putting it back in later and keep an eye on them. Someone else might have better details though.

Ours called at 5am to and told us to be there when it opened at 7am. I think she enjoyed the peeping though that might be the only time I’ve ever seen our post lady smile! We are quite rural and chick shipments are common so our postal workers are very good with handling chick orders. A fact I’m very grateful for.

I’m so sorry:hugs
That was mine but the day before my ducks or in the mail we went to the post office and told them Ohio and call us in the day after they were shipped like a day before they actually said they get there we got a call and we went to pick them up at like 7 o’clock probably earlier

How are they today ?
Good thing you got so many as their warmth probably saved them.

My po, when I asked a few years ago, said they would call at 5am when they got there because they didn't want to listen to them peeping for hours on end. Lol
I can’t believe someone wouldn’t want to listen to the best sound in the world for a couple hours

Back
Top Bottom