Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Chick are due tomorrow, but we got several early birds:

The incubator was looking a little crowded, so I moved 6 of the 9 chicks into the brooder. I also took a quick orpington pic of 2 lavs, a black, & a blue(?)

What do you think? Is the 2nd one a blue orp?

Mom: I believe the chick came from Oopsie (who looked like a mauve orp at hatch, but feathered in whitish - cream colored. We think she has some blue & choc orp genes). If the egg was not hers, then it came from my lav orp pullet & the chick's just a little darker shade of lavender.

Dad: ???? No barring/head spot, so Brick's out. Also have a lav (Moose) & a blak/lav split (Mr Dummy). So, 25% chance black orp & 75% chance lav orp. Would those combos make a blue???

[COLOR=333333]Chick are due tomorrow, but we got several early birds:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The incubator was looking a little crowded, so I moved 6 of the 9 chicks into the brooder. I also took a quick orpington pic of 2 lavs, a black, & a blue(?)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=0000CD]What do you think? Is the 2nd one a blue orp?[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Mom: I believe the chick came from Oopsie (who looked like a mauve orp at hatch, but feathered in whitish - cream colored. We think she has some blue & choc orp genes). If the egg was not hers, then it came from my lav orp pullet & the chick's just a little darker shade of lavender.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Dad: ???? No barring/head spot, so Brick's out. Also have a lav (Moose) & a blak/lav split (Mr Dummy). So, 25% chance black orp & 75% chance lav orp. Would those combos make a blue???[/COLOR]
I'm guessing pullet egg, just darker lav. If blue or chocolate were involved, I think the chicks would be mauve and hatch yellow. Not positive, but that's my guess.

[COLOR=333333]Chick are due tomorrow, but we got several early birds:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The incubator was looking a little crowded, so I moved 6 of the 9 chicks into the brooder. I also took a quick orpington pic of 2 lavs, a black, & a blue(?)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=0000CD]What do you think? Is the 2nd one a blue orp?[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Mom: I believe the chick came from Oopsie (who looked like a mauve orp at hatch, but feathered in whitish - cream colored. We think she has some blue & choc orp genes). If the egg was not hers, then it came from my lav orp pullet & the chick's just a little darker shade of lavender.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Dad: ???? No barring/head spot, so Brick's out. Also have a lav (Moose) & a blak/lav split (Mr Dummy). So, 25% chance black orp & 75% chance lav orp. Would those combos make a blue???[/COLOR]
the second one could be blue. If the pullet was genetically a mauve underneath the white then that means she us blue and chocolate. Bred to a lavender or black split to lavwnder, she would produce blue or black chicks. Your cuckoo is definitely not the father here. The chick could also be carrying lavender(from the cock), chocolate, and recessive white(the latter two would have come from the hen). It looks blue but see how it feathers in. You'll know blue from lavender pretty quick. This is why people breeding lavender won't use blue birds in their flock

the second one could be blue. If the pullet was genetically a mauve underneath the white then that means she us blue and chocolate. Bred to a lavender or black split to lavwnder, she would produce blue or black chicks. Your cuckoo is definitely not the father here. The chick could also be carrying lavender(from the cock), chocolate, and recessive white(the latter two would have come from the hen). It looks blue but see how it feathers in. You'll know blue from lavender pretty quick. This is why people breeding lavender won't use blue birds in their flock

:bow thanks for that. I'm still trying to decipher the chocs/mauve/blue/etc. :/

Just wondering, do all blue orps have that delicate lacing around the feather edges? Is that how I'll know?

We kept Oopsie out of curiosity & set her eggs to see what hatched out. We have 1-2 other chicks that I think came from Oopsie's eggs. Both of those look like a light black. Surprisingly, only 1/2 of her eggs developed. Perhaps she needs a butt cut.

I'm thinking of putting some food coloring by (or in) her vent so I can easily identify her eggs & therefore be certain which chicks came from Oopsie. Has anyone done that? Any tips? How long does it last?

Just wondering, do all blue orps have that delicate lacing around the feather edges? Is that how I'll know? 

We kept Oopsie out of curiosity & set her eggs to see what hatched out.  We have 1-2 other chicks that I think came from Oopsie's eggs.  Both of those look like a light black.  Surprisingly, only 1/2 of her eggs developed.  Perhaps she needs a butt cut.

I'm thinking of putting some food coloring by (or in) her vent so I can easily identify her eggs & therefore be certain which chicks came from Oopsie.  Has anyone done that?  Any tips?  How long does it last?
ideally all blue orps of quality (and mauve) should have lacing. I've seen many poorly colored blues and mauves that do not have lacing. You have to breed for it. I've had many poorly colored blues/mauves here.

Lavender should be a nice even shade over while blue can be very uneven, have black specks, and also be laced

I took some pics today of my recent hatch. Most of the orps hatched on Fri, so they're 3 days old.

Here are Oopsie's 3 chicks. Blue one is in middle. The blacks have nice dark heads, but their bodies are slightly gray rather than black. I'm thinking they are black splits. (Dad = a lav or blk/lav split orp x Mom = mauve orp* that looks cream colored)

One of her blacks has a mask

Left to right: a black, a lav, & the blue
(My choc orp was not laying when I set the eggs.)

I took some pics today of my recent hatch. Most of the orps hatched on Fri, so they're 3 days old.

Here are Oopsie's 3 chicks. Blue one is in middle. The blacks have nice dark heads, but their bodies are slightly gray rather than black. I'm thinking they are black splits. (Dad = a lav or blk/lav split orp x Mom = mauve orp* that looks cream colored)

One of her blacks has a mask

Left to right: a black, a lav, & the blue
(My choc orp was not laying when I set the eggs.)

They are gorgeous! :) I have chicks coming in the mail on Wednesday, I'll have to post pics of them too. I am getting chocolate & chocolate cuckoo orps, and possibly some mottled bbs ones if there are any extras. I wish I could hatch from my own chickens, but I am not allowed to keep roosters here. Usually when I get one I don't end up keeping him long enough for him to father any chicks. I get tired of having to put him in the garage every night, haha!

Back
Top Bottom