Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
I would love to see the icelandics..I hear a lot about them but havnt seen one yet.

I am kind of working towaard the australian standard with my aussies which will require me to add some english imports ..I also want to be careful thou and not take it too far because when the aussie was being inducted into the australian standard there was a big fight and queensland held out on thier vote unless the rest agreed to keep a tight feather on the breed, they were afraid that they were turning the great bird of curves into an orpington ..once that was all written into the standrd ..everyone was happy..

Quote:
yum yum..i really wanted burbon reds this year for thnaks giving but they sold out..darn it.

this picture is to show the influence of english blk orps bred into modern australorps in australia..they kindly post thier standard right at the site ..very helpful..i think it should be a reference book for all like that..they also infused clean legged langshan..they did have a fight about the birds when they were writing the standard thou, queensland held out a vote until they wrote this bird must retain a tight feather..they got thier way..sometimes we go too far to acheive A look and queensland was right to draw in the reins otherwise they would have become a bantam black orpington..it was a bold important move..I get what the english are doing , they are trying to neaten up the tails ..add some bulk ect...
I think they need to be careful as well..once you loose certian features, you cant ever get them back, like adding too much salt, a little at a time..I have been following the australians for years and they too had a bunch of problems crop up like red between toes, a perfect V shape to the birds when they are supposed to be a little more like a orpington and fluffy underneath..so all of these things will happen as breeds evolve..sometimes quick corrections are needed..I personally want to work toward thier standard but keep a tad more elegance to the bird..a few more curves . they have always been know as the great bird of curves.from beak to tail.

these pics are just to illustrate english blk orp infulence on aussies in australia..

90703139.jpg

86601145.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
absolutly...17 time world champion australorp breeder ray connor said just that..he culls from around 200 a year to just 25 - 30..its always a work in progress..even the english have their share of problems..squirrle tails, monkey feet..ect...in fact one of his freinds said give me your 3rd worst and i will beat you in three years...he did too..the genes are in there...master breeders know how to coax those out..even world champions have culls.Ray connors book is a great read for any breeder , beginner to expert come away with something ..he even goes into illustrations this bird is not a show bird but he is a breeder because............its super interesting
i have quite a few of those hens that will never see the breeding pen, but they make nice eggies

Last edited:
A couple of pics from my odd looking AUSSIE's.
TuT is not an Aussie but is entertaianing my 2 Aussie layers specials
012aaw.jpg

These 2 girls are purebred Aussies from one of the best bloodlines in the USA. Just to show that even the very most winningest lines do produce odd looks.
011bcz.jpg

That is why I only paid $10 each
013rhgu.jpg

Here are a few Black Orp cockerels who will most likely be culled unless they start to look better. I have several younger boys growing out who I hope will take their place. BUT, with Orps you need to give them time.
005rlyk.jpg

Culling for traits one wants is very important. It is not just about size. Type plays an important role on who to keep. That is why we hatch out dozens to get just that one who will carry on the torch
006pcd.jpg

interesting group..you could cross some of those back to australorps and show..Im suprised you havnt done that yet..... I think Im going to borrow Jody's blk orp pullet into the ben pen next year for a short time..I think that might produce some high class australorps.but will need some work ...as it always does. not get too much in there, otherwise too much fluff and size..so just enough to add some class to the flock..you never know..something real good might come out of it right away..just a little salt at a time...australrops in america need a lot of help for sure..there are some good ones out there but rare as hens teeth..they were on endangered or watch list.she is a classy breeding hen..and would be an asset to anyones breeding pen they were the foundation breed.aussies in america are very leghorn in type..very production ..they are supposed to be at least a little more like orps as seen above... other than that, Im leaving the breeding pens to Jody and Charlie..and I will just line up some shows..I might get a softie pairing for a couple eggies in the bator thou.

do want at least a couple english imports to take around also..depending on what comes out , might go traveling further

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually my reason these girls are in with TuT is I hope they may make a Silver White. I agree a good Aussie type Black would make a few Aussie looking girls. But I am really wanting to get their tails into something White.

OMG all of these are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute! I want to SNUGGLE up with all of them!
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
barnie.gif
caf.gif
old.gif
clap.gif
duc.gif
ya.gif

The yellow leg issue seems to be unique to 1 person who apparantly fed way too much corn at an early age. We have hatched, sold and grown out hundreds of BBS Orpingtons from this line and have yet to see or hear of yellow legs or skin in any of them. If I did see it in a juvenile bird, I would cull it immediately - or look into develping a Plymouh Rock or Jersey Giant out of it! (lol).

Our birds are all grown out on a 19% protein ration, unless that are destined for show - in which case we normally switch them over to a 28% ration at about 4 months. I don't recommend feeding the higher protein ration to the younger birds however. We also supplement with 3-grain scratch in our adult birds. Our breeders get a 16% protein layer ration with 3-grain scratch as supplement.

Back
Top Bottom