Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:

Well this is what I figured and the one offered is from Hinkjc. That's where I got mine and hers are very nice, I might add. I was there to pick up lav chicks and some buffs and black. When I saw her whites I did a double take and asked if she had any whites. She did of course and I'm about to trade these away since I can't keep all of them and no one will take just the roo. Which is fine I've got a nice hen and it would be ashame for her not to breed.

Thanks for the information.

Rancher

I have had someone tell me they were not satisfied with the quality of a HinkJC bird before. I just couldn't believe it. It had to be a long, long time ago. I'm not kissing bottom here, just stating facts. Their current stock has to be the best of any widely available APA stock anywhere in the USA. Widely available if you get on the hatching egg list or live close enough to go pick them up, that is. No one else with that quality and that type of availability comes close. Not that I'm any sort of expert, but anyone with eyes can see. Naturally I'm proud of my chicken but even if I never owned one of theirs, I'd think the same.

A few months ago I was trying to explain why we should hatch these Orps in January-March. I think this poultry judge explains it best:

Your environment isn't the problem nature is. A bird growing in the early spring grows to it's full potential both for size and feather. May. June, July chicks rarely reach the full size or feather of their early siblings. Old Timers in Cornish Bantams would tell me almost to a man that you hatched your breeders early and your show birds late. Most of them thought that the Standard called for too small a bird in Cornish Bantams. I try to hatch May and June chicks in Cornish Bantams. I raised Crele Old English bantams for years and for a correct length of feather you had to hatch fairly early. If I hatched a Crele OE male say in June he wouldn't make a decent tail the first year. They needed to be held over as cocks and then they would produce the length of feather they were genetically patterned to have. Lets say you have a line of Red bantams that are too large. hatching in June would (should) produce a smaller bird but this bird still has the genotype of the flock so if you breed it early it will likely produce birds bigger than it's self. To get birds that have the genotype for smaller size you need to try different things. As I stated in an earlier post buy a good balance scale and use it. Keep as breeders birds that are small if you can hold type and color. You can bring in a bird from a smaller line to help in size reduction or perhaps the most reasonable path if your line of bantams is too big is to trash the line you have and buy a couple of pair of birds from a breeder that has a flock with smaller size with hopefully better type and color. We sometimes try to believe we have the best available but that is usually a false belief. No matter how good we are at breeding birds of our breed and variety there is almost without a doubt someone better.

Brian Decker
Breeder, exhibitor and poultry judge​

Quote:

Maybe I'm a complete moron but this looks wrong on so many common sense points. In addition, I've hatched birds in July that were bigger than those I hatched in March at the same age, same breed. Should I now believe that the July hatched birds might have been complete monsters if I'd only hatched them earlier?

Quote:

Well this is what I figured and the one offered is from Hinkjc. That's where I got mine and hers are very nice, I might add. I was there to pick up lav chicks and some buffs and black. When I saw her whites I did a double take and asked if she had any whites. She did of course and I'm about to trade these away since I can't keep all of them and no one will take just the roo. Which is fine I've got a nice hen and it would be ashame for her not to breed.

Thanks for the information.

Rancher

I have had someone tell me they were not satisfied with the quality of a HinkJC bird before. I just couldn't believe it. It had to be a long, long time ago. I'm not kissing bottom here, just stating facts. Their current stock has to be the best of any widely available APA stock anywhere in the USA. Widely available if you get on the hatching egg list or live close enough to go pick them up, that is. No one else with that quality and that type of availability comes close. Not that I'm any sort of expert, but anyone with eyes can see. Naturally I'm proud of my chicken but even if I never owned one of theirs, I'd think the same.

The HinkJc gathered stock from the best available, then bred to the SOP. Anyone can do this with lots of hard work and a start with the best lines.

Hopefully there will be some large white orpingtons from my stock coming to your country soon. Sandy
D.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am sure those who are lucky enough would be very happy they did get some from you. We do have a handful of great White Orp breeders. One is in Texas, one is up in Minnesota. One is in Pennsylvania, one out west. And a few scatered over the rest of the country. I hope to be getting some eggs from one of them here this coming spring. Even though I rather have live birds. Eggs will have to do.
I am looking forward to making my own line from one snowball White cockerel and some very nice Buff Sports, and also try to make some from some of the very best White Wyandottes as well taken to my cockerel. We will see.

Hi guys.. does anyone have Orps close to me? I am in east central Fl.. near Kennedy Space Center. Would like 1-2 young females or babies. Splash or blue would be nice but would consider whatever is available near me..

Yesterday went up to Boone county and picked up 5 Single Comb White Wyandottes and 4 more Buff Sports. All are young and I am very happy. Just cost me time and gas.

Back
Top Bottom