Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Hi there! I love my new buff orpingtons and if I were to limit myself to only one breed, they would be it. So sweet, curious and friendly! I have recently had four little chicks given to me and now that they are a couple of months old...I am worried that I may have all roosters. Their combs and waddles are growing. Now, three of them are reddening and the other one still has a peachy comb, although it has grown. I hope since you all have experience with this breed, you won't mind me picking your brains.

This is a shot of all four of them, the one I think may be a girl is facing away. I will post that one below.
Any ideas?

Hi there! I love my new buff orpingtons and if I were to limit myself to only one breed, they would be it. So sweet, curious and friendly! I have recently had four little chicks given to me and now that they are a couple of months old...I am worried that I may have all roosters. Their combs and waddles are growing. Now, three of them are reddening and the other one still has a peachy comb, although it has grown. I hope since you all have experience with this breed, you won't mind me picking your brains.

This is a shot of all four of them, the one I think may be a girl is facing away. I will post that one below.
Any ideas?

Any ideas?
How old are they??

Right around 10 weeks...but I saw some comb development at about five weeks. Is that typical of B Orpingtons, or just the males? :)
by 10 weeks both males and females can have comb development...but the males should have much rounder/bigger/redder combs and more upright stance as well...usually much bigger legs/feet too.

Right around 10 weeks...but I saw some comb development at about five weeks. Is that typical of B Orpingtons, or just the males? :)

I think it all depends on the line as far as combs or heads go. I have seen some pullets with hardly any comb and others with larger combs. The same goes for the size of the heads: its genetic and some pullets have a nice large head and others a tiny little snake head. I would start watching for saddle feathers to come in. I am new to Orps and often times its hard for me to sex some of them. Fingers crossed you got at least one pullet.

by 10 weeks both males and females can have comb development...but the males should have much rounder/bigger/redder combs and more upright stance as well...usually much bigger legs/feet too. 
Thank you! It's funny, the buffs are tougher to guess than my other chickens. My maran too looked like a velociraptor by five weeks while the girls were more....horizontal. My buffs all look the horizontal but with combs. Lol!

I think it all depends on the line as far as combs or heads go.  I have seen some pullets with hardly any comb and others with larger combs.  The same goes for the size of the heads: its genetic and some pullets have a nice large head and others a tiny little snake head.  I would start watching for saddle feathers to come in.  I am new to Orps and often times its hard for me to sex some of them.  Fingers crossed you got at least one pullet.
. you're right....saddle feathers will probably be my only indicator for a while! Good call!

Back
Top Bottom