Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Wow-she has fancy digs!
lol.png

A couple of my young boys who I will be looking forward to using this coming season.
Harold is Frank's brother. As some MAY remember I shown Frank twice this past fall. And talked to Matt Lahmon, ABA Vice President, who has extensive knowledge of how to properly raise and breed Brown Reds on what or who to use with my Brown Red boys. Asides from using my one Brown Red pullet, Matt said to take them to Blacks. And I should be making some darn nice Brown Reds out of the gate with this novelty project variety. For now I have yet to see anyone else trying to make them Frank is able to be seen on FEATHERSITE. And is the only Brown Red Orp on that site.
BUT, HAROLD is showing me why I like him so much. He is a slow grower and is developing very nicely. I will be using HAROLD. Already have 3 Orp folks wanting some from him and Frank Especially liking HAROLD for that rich Mahogany color throughout.
HAROLD, named for a great friend and Orp breeder. Hope he doesn't mind. hahaha
001qje.jpg

This fella is sharing the same pen with HAROLD and is making me think he maybe having a special purpose this coming year.
Napoleon
003sao.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If I had a handsome guy like that I'd put him over some blue girls and make blue coppers.
love.gif

You know I do have 2 very nice young BLUE girls growing out who make HAROLD's day in the future. I have one young Black and Brown Red and I can see a Blue or two being in with him or Frank. Great suggestion!

Last edited:
Was out popping a pic off of my Birchen pullet to point out to someone on another site the true genetics behind my Brown Reds and how come they have this look. It was said I needed to have the Birchen gene.
So I have the Birchen gene.
scaled.php
[

Quote:
Is it sex linked? In that males have red (gold) and females show silver? I had that happen with some game crosses way back when....

Not sure if it is. I knew the male I had used 2 years ago had the Birchen gene. I had taken that male to 2 Orp hens. One was a purebred Blue the other a purebred Black. I had both Blue and Black Birchens come out from those breedings. Even had a Lemon Blue Ameraucana come out. The grandaddy was from a hatchery bird. Who obviously had Ameraucana in him.
Here is the culprit from where this gene came from.
366538355.jpg

Quote:
wow that looks like some of the blacks leaking red i got out of one of the jubilee project last year, which those birds were sold at the auction in orwigsburg. they just didnt make the program here..

Yes their called Black Coppers in the Marans world or just simply Brown Reds. Matt Lahmon just wrote on a thread and agrees there is Birchen in my birds. That would explain why I keep getting this variety. now to take the boys to my better Blacks and make some more.

Back
Top Bottom