Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I agree with Walt, when we were in england I was absolutly shocked when we went to ther show and what we saw as orpingtons.

there is a fantastic illustration of this at the united orpington club web site..it shows side by side what the american version is supposed to look like and the modern british version..we absolutly do not have any birds here that look like what I saw in england and united orpington photos side by side is perfectly showing what Im trying to describe.

I did not copy paste because Im not sure if I can in here as its borrowed from thier site but it would be very very helpful for people to see the differences which is , well we dont have anything that looks like thier show birds.

borrowed this to show what I have been trying to describe . it is an interesting conversation . I will delete it , just trying to show people the difference... what we call english could not pass in thier show circuts

....well now I cant figure out how to remove the pic..so maybe mods can give people a look then remove it. posted it to give people a visual perspective...you can go to US nationals and see the difference in our orp champion. or better yet just look at walts avatar, an excellent pic of a very good american version

Its just the way things evolve in different places..same in australia, thier australorps look absolutly nothing like ours. they used some show blk orps and show clean legged langshans to work on thiers. the birds lost the monster egg laying ability that they once had . then when I look at bob whitneys aussie pullet at APA shows. that has won every show she was at this last year, to me is pure perfection.I couldnt quit looking at her. aussie breeders in US dont really argue about it, they just think, what about that would I like to incorporate into mine or how can I acheive a little more of that look without sacrifising the egg ability.

I personally like both orp types, I very much like the elegant look of the american birds, big longer necks and just attractive the way round. very practical for a northeast winter. I like the wide feather in the british version. It just my opinion but both are genetically very important.

Last edited:
....well now I cant figure out how to remove the pic..so maybe mods can give people a look then remove it. posted it to give people a visual perspective...you can go to US nationals and see the difference in our orp champion. or better yet just look at walts avatar, an excellent pic of a very good american version

Its just the way things evolve in different places..same in australia, thier australorps look absolutly nothing like ours. they used some show blk orps and show clean legged langshans to work on thiers. the birds lost the monster egg laying ability that they once had . then when I look at bob whitneys aussie pullet at APA shows. that has won every show she was at this last year, to me is pure perfection.I couldnt quit looking at her. aussie breeders in US dont really argue about it, they just think, what about that would I like to incorporate into mine or how can I acheive a little more of that look without sacrifising the egg ability.

I personally like both orp types, I very much like the elegant look of the american birds, big longer necks and just attractive the way round. very practical for a northeast winter. I like the wide feather in the british version. It just my opinion but both are genetically very important.

The picture gives credit where credit is due so I don't think they would mind us having the picture posted on here for discussion. It's how I learn. A picture really is worth a thousand words. You're right - that British Orp doesn't look like "100% English Orps" I've been seeing posted.

I don't think what is has been or is being Imported is British "Exhibition" stock (picture above)?? Basically it is their version of what we considered average backyard "hatchery" style stock if it were compared to American Exhibition stock. (JMO)

Last edited:
I agree with Walt, when we were in england I was absolutly shocked when we went to ther show and what we saw as orpingtons.

there is a fantastic illustration of this at the united orpington club web site..it shows side by side what the american version is supposed to look like and the modern british version..we absolutly do not have any birds here that look like what I saw in england and united orpington photos side by side is perfectly showing what Im trying to describe.

I did not copy paste because Im not sure if I can in here as its borrowed from thier site but it would be very very helpful for people to see the differences which is , well we dont have anything that looks like thier show birds.

borrowed this to show what I have been trying to describe . it is an interesting conversation . I will delete it , just trying to show people the difference... what we call english could not pass in thier show circuts

I think this is one cool looking bird......but it is a far cry from a US Orp......and as noted.....I don't see any posted on here that look like this bird. They seem to be somewhere in between the US and British style. This birds tail is what makes it look like something other than a Cochin, but the underline of the bird is exactly like a GOOD US Cochin with the exception of the foot feathering.

Walt

Aveca, please don't try to remove the photo. It's a good one of a spectacular bird. It's "lifted" off what is essentially public domain and only for other's pleasure and education. Shouldn't be a problem and I try to be careful. Walt, interesting observations on your part which is part of why I, who have been involved with Cochins most of the last 40 years, can't quite figure out the idea of Cochin influence. If someone can find me big, rugged, raw boned true Aisiatic type Cochins that have underlines like this please let me know. As has been mentioned the tail is very, very different than a Cochin as is the way the bird is put together under that feather. They are not built the same and do not use their legs in the same way, at least not according to some of the video available that shows UK type Orps on the ground. I admire the APA type of Orp when it's really what it ought to be. And as far as Orps on the ground I'd love to see this guy and a bunch of relatives on my ground.

Back
Top Bottom