Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

i must say Ive never once had an egg blow... guess after 20+ years of using incubators and knowing how to candle properly,
you learn which is a good egg vs bad egg, then pull those bad eggs before that happens.. ques I'm just lucky
bow.gif

I think that is a girl too. It won't squat till it's close to laying though, and I doubt it's close to laying.

That was my thought too. Most of my bigger birds didn't lay until 8 months. I don't know where Orps fall because s/he is my only one. I don't have any roosters so I can't do the roo test.. I guess we wait and see

Actually the porous one usually just ooze or bubble it is the thicker shelled ones that usually blow up. One of my high school buddies owns a hatchery in Idaho and he said eggs that have been frozen seem to pop more than others.

I ordered some Jaehorn eggs on here and they all oozed but never exploded and they were thin white shelled.

I have never had one actually blow up until I picked it up.

i must say Ive never once had an egg blow... guess after 20+ years of using incubators and knowing how to candle properly,
you learn which is a good egg vs bad egg, then pull those bad eggs before that happens.. ques I'm just lucky
bow.gif

Last edited:
I think that is a girl too. It won't squat till it's close to laying though, and I doubt it's close to laying.

That was my thought too. Most of my bigger birds didn't lay until 8 months. I don't know where Orps fall because s/he is my only one. I don't have any roosters so I can't do the roo test.. I guess we wait and see

8 months sounds about right for an Orp, but there of course is a lot of variance. In my short chicken keeping time I've had one that started laying at 6 months and one that started at 11 months. The late layer lays huge eggs!

Different breed. Probably close to lay. I've never known of one to do that unless they are within a few weeks of laying. But I dont' have 30 years experience, either.

there mighty cute bill, do you have something under that egg carton or is it just sitting on the bottom?
i got the hovabatoer up and running to make sure everything is running right..turned it off for another week or so.

There is a few paper towels that I soak for the humidity in by the carton. I only will put in a soaking wash cloth or paper towels 3 times during the incubating

Back
Top Bottom