Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

[/IMG][/IMG]

My silkies are here! They were shipped yesterday and we picked them up from the PO at 8am today. So far all 8 silkies and 8 mystery males are alive and well.

I've dealt with Ideal on several occasions and have been pleased every time. They may not be show quality birds but that's okay. I just want some healthy chicks that will become productive hens and that's what Ideal supplies. I had a flock decimated by two stray dogs about 3 weeks ago so I had to start over. I just received an order of 8 Buff Orpington females and 1 BO male from Ideal. I live in the country so hearing a rooster crow is a pleasure, not a nuisance. They also included about 12 other chicks in the box and they appear to be Barred Rocks. I'm sure they are a mixture of males and females. With the 8 chicks I got from a local feed store that gives me a total of about 30 chicks. That's a bit more than I need but fortunately I built a large coop and can handle the crowd. FYI, the coop can be seen in the Gallery under Byron's Chicken Hilton. I'll post pics of the chicks as soon as I can. Thanks.

I only got one DOA the rest idk what happened? The last time I ordered I ordered in may and they are my layers now!
When so many chicks die off like that, it could be because of temperature/heat issues in the brooder, moldy food (chick feed can turn really quickly!), or a viral or bacterial disease that sweeps through like wildfire. It doesn't sound like it had to do with their overall health at hatching or a shipping issue. I'm sorry for your losses, though - very frustrating and disappointing.

I was disappointed by this year's Ideal Hatchery stock as well. All my Sultans, and Creole OEGBs died and my gold necked d'uccles came with bad legs. My other OEGBs ( fawn silver duckwing) did great, as did all my MF d'uccles. I'm not sure where they get their stock, whether its from local breeders that breed for them, but it was kind of weird that entire stock of one or two breeds/colors died. I keep them all together, so there's no difference in climate or homes. Unfortunately, it took a couple of weeks for those breeds to die off, so I couldn't really report it to Ideal. And I didn't notice the legs on the GNs because I had so many fluffy butts....

Back
Top Bottom