Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Just thought I'd share about mine. My SC ladies got frostbite the first night it got to 30. Here, we get over 100 in summers and both RC and SC did great. Now that we're in winter, my RC leghorn is out in an unheated shed and we've gotten near 0 at nights, she is laying a HUGE white egg every day. The SC lady is in a heated shed and has just now started laying again after 2 months of being off due to her incident. So, overall I would say that in my experience with light brown leghorns, the rose combed birds are much better in the heat and cold

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you :)

62110_323720797741345_1800659676_n.jpg

thats the plan,i got this trio special for this, from apa judge curtis oakes.I had some really nice black splits that where super but a dog got them and 2 of my lav hens.Its always the best ones that it happens too.so hopefully in another 2 years they will be finished and exhibition worthy.I wished i would of not culled so hevilly now i am down to 2 black split roos,1 pure lav roo and 2 lave pullets,they just started laying so i hope by next month i will have eggs large enough to incubate.i am crossing the buff roo into 1 lav hen and my lav roo into the 2 buff hens and other lav hens.im just going to keep the 2 black splits for bac up right now.

I think that it would be a lot better and a lot easier to take the lavs to whites rather then taking the lavs to the buffs, with the buffs you will have to battle getting all of the red out of the birds and whites tend to have better type then buffs do
thats the plan,i got this trio special for this, from apa judge curtis oakes.I had some really nice black splits that where super but a dog got them and 2 of my lav hens.Its always the best ones that it happens too.so hopefully in another 2 years they will be finished and exhibition worthy.I wished i would of not culled so hevilly now i am down to 2 black split roos,1 pure lav roo and 2 lave pullets,they just started laying so i hope by next month i will have eggs large enough to incubate.i am crossing the buff roo into 1 lav hen and my lav roo into the 2 buff hens and other lav hens.im just going to keep the 2 black splits for bac up right now.

Thats true and i did look for some nice whites i just could not find any very nice ones around me.If i do come across some i may throw them in there,but i am really not to worried about the red leakage coming through these buffs are recessive whites,i guess they are called a buff sport?or so i am told i never been big on breeding buff colors but have used them in many projects for different things over the years.its just a hatch em out and eliminate process,is what i always found. it gives me something to do and is always a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom