Post pics of your turkeys.

This is the result of my Royal Palm tom/BBB hen cross. Got 4 different colors that sex linked. The girls are white and black with or without a brown tricolor. The toms are standard bronze or a dark grey/black, they're pretty boring. The hens are absolutely gorgeous. I love the laced pattern.
20170609_181602.jpg
20170609_202125.jpg
20170609_202737.jpg

I'll be getting more turkeys later in the future but i only have two for now... i might have to get some more hens but here they are! THe oldest is Dorthy. We arent sure what she is but shes the sweetest turkey i've ever meet! The other one whos only 7 weeks (I think) Is brunce my hansom lil Bronze back/Wild Turkey mix
IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 7
I'll be getting more turkeys later in the future but i only have two for now... i might have to get some more hens but here they are! THe oldest is Dorthy. We arent sure what she is but shes the sweetest turkey i've ever meet! The other one whos only 7 weeks (I think) Is brunce my hansom lil Bronze back/Wild Turkey mix
View attachment 1082831
View attachment 1082832
Beautiful!

This is the result of my Royal Palm tom/BBB hen cross. Got 4 different colors that sex linked. The girls are white and black with or without a brown tricolor. The toms are standard bronze or a dark grey/black, they're pretty boring. The hens are absolutely gorgeous. I love the laced pattern.
View attachment 1082781 View attachment 1082782 View attachment 1082784
Barring any hidden recessive color genes crossing a Royal Palm tom on a Bronze hen (for color genetic purposes a BBB is a Bronze) you should have gotten 2 results. All the hens should be Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) and all the toms should be Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) Narragansett(n).

Barring any hidden recessive color genes crossing a Royal Palm tom on a Bronze hen (for color genetic purposes a BBB is a Bronze) you should have gotten 2 results. All the hens should be Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) and all the toms should be Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) Narragansett(n).
Well what I got and what should have been are two different things. I definitely got 4 different birds out of the same two parents. I've come to the conclusion using the porters color calculator that my tom is a semi pencilled RP with a recessive red or brown gene. Probably brown because it sex linked.

Well what I got and what should have been are two different things. I definitely got 4 different birds out of the same two parents. I've come to the conclusion using the porters color calculator that my tom is a semi pencilled RP with a recessive red or brown gene. Probably brown because it sex linked.
If your Royal Palm had a recessive red (r) color gene it would be expressed and not be hidden and your tom would not be a Royal Palm (b1b1 cgcg RR nn) but would be a Calico (b1b1 cgcg Rr nn). It is possible for a Royal Palm to have a hidden recessive brown (e) color gene but I doubt that is the case. Yes the brown color gene is sex linked since hens can only have one (e-) while toms can have two of the brown (ee) color gene. Hens can only pass the brown color gene to their male offspring and cannot pass it to female offspring.

The reason that it is unlikely the cause of the sex linked offspring is because the Royal Palm tom carries the recessive Narragansett (nn) color gene which is also sex linked. Crossing a Royal Palm tom (nn) with a Bronze hen (N-) will always result in sex linked offspring with the male offspring being a bronze type carrying a hidden Narragansett (Nn) color gene and all the female offspring being a Narragansett type expressing their one Narragansett (n-) color gene.

If your Royal Palm tom is carrying the recessive penciling gene (pn), it will be visible as partial penciling. If the partial penciling is not visible on the tom, he does not have the penciling gene since it is expressed if present as either partial penciling (Pnpn) or full penciling (pnpn). In my experience the penciling is best seen in the tail feathers.

Since you got 4 different color varieties of offspring instead of the predicted two sex linked colors, my guess is that your Bronze hen is the one most likely carrying the hidden recessive gene that is causing the differences. The reason is that there are not many recessive color genes that can remain hidden in the Royal Palm configuration without causing the Royal Palm to not be a Royal Palm.

Good luck figuring out what you ended up with.

Posting more pictures of the parents would probably help us figure the genetics of the offspring, and posting pictures of the boys would help, too. One of my bigger issues with the Porter's calculator is that there aren't pictures of birds like @R2elk described so such a bird cannot be visualized, and worse yet, can't even be Googled.

Posting more pictures of the parents would probably help us figure the genetics of the offspring, and posting pictures of the boys would help, too. One of my bigger issues with the Porter's calculator is that there aren't pictures of birds like @R2elk described so such a bird cannot be visualized, and worse yet, can't even be Googled.
I am beginning to think he does not have a Royal Palm tom but instead has a Calico tom. A Calico tom on a Bronze hen would give the apparent sex linked results that he has. A "Royal Palm" that has any color in its feathers other than black or white is not a Royal palm. I have personally seen a number of Tri-Color or Calicos being passed off as Royal Palms.

hen - NarragansettSemi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) which would look like the hen on the right in the first and second pictures.

hen - Golden Narragansett split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) which might look like the hen on the left in both pictures.

tom -
Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) Narragansett(n) which would look very similar to a Bronze.

tom -
Red Bronze split: Black Winged Bronze(b1) Narragansett(n)

Our poor neglected tom we rescued last week and our two girls. We let them be together sat afternoon after we finished the much larger pen for them all and it was interesting but not bad. But we still put tom in his own sleepin spot. Then we went to put them up last night and he had decided otherwise and that he was gonna sleep with the girls... well alrighty buddy if you feel comfortable go on do it then. Now we can start the process of introducin the poults to the biggs.

Attachments

• IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom