Post Stroke/Or Vitamin E Deficiency In 3 Week old Silkie

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, I have a silkie chick that went Blind, & has head nods. Chick was perfectly fine until today.The chick doesn't respond to movement, but does seem to catch some shadows, & that's it.

I picked up some Poultry NutreDrench today, & will start treating for the Neurological problems tomorrow.

What's your opinion?

Last edited:
Hello, I have a silkie chick that went Blind, & has head nods. Chick was perfectly fine until today.The chick doesn't respond to movement, but does seem to catch some shadows, & that's it.

I picked up some Poultry NutreDrench today, & will start treating for the Neurological problems tomorrow.

What's your opinion?
Poor little thing:(
I think the PND is a good start. Not sure what's going on there. With this being a Silkie, could be injury/trauma to the head?
I would give her a few days. If possible get some Vitamin E gel caps and squeeze one of those out into her wet feed once a day.
Offer wet chick starter.
Hard to know if this is temporary or what, so if she doesn't improve in a few days or takes a turn, unfortunately, for me I would cull her.

Poor little thing:(
I think the PND is a good start. Not sure what's going on there. With this being a Silkie, could be injury/trauma to the head?
I would give her a few days. If possible get some Vitamin E gel caps and squeeze one of those out into her wet feed once a day.
Offer wet chick starter.
Hard to know if this is temporary or what, so if she doesn't improve in a few days or takes a turn, unfortunately, for me I would cull her.
It's non vaulted, so I don't think head injury is what happened, but I can't rule it out.

Next time we go to Walmart, I'll pick up some of those. I would have to feed the chick the mixture out of the brooder, so her siblings, & half siblings, & the turkeys don't eat it.

Last edited:
It's non vaulted, so I don't think head injury is what happened, but I can't rule it out.

Next time we go to Walmart, I'll pick up some of those. I would have to feed the chick the mixture out of the brooder, so her siblings, & half siblings, & the turkeys don't eat it.
If she's not able to see, then you'll need to hand feed and water her about every hour or hour and a half, so she doesn't get dehydrated or too weak.

It's fine if you don't have the extra vitamin E. The PND does contain E so I would still give her that 2 times a day.

If she's not able to see, then you'll need to hand feed and water her about every hour or hour and a half, so she doesn't get dehydrated or too weak.

It's fine if you don't have the extra vitamin E. The PND does contain E so I would still give her that 2 times a day.
Okay, kind of figured that. I hope the blindness goes away with this treatment. I just remembered something though.
A Vitamin A Deficiency causes blindness, so could that be it? But the head nodding is neurological.
I'm just hoping the blindness isn't caused by something neurological.

Okay, I'll just us this then.

I just woke up.

Okay, kind of figured that. I hope the blindness goes away with this treatment. I just remembered something though.
A Vitamin A Deficiency causes blindness, so could that be it? But the head nodding is neurological.
I'm just hoping the blindness isn't caused by something neurological.

Okay, I'll just us this then.

I just woke up.
Good point.
I checked the PND ingredients and it also has Vitamin A, so hopefully the vitamins will help. All you can do is try and give her a few days and see how it goes.

She's a cute little thing.

Good point.
I checked the PND ingredients and it also has Vitamin A, so hopefully the vitamins will help. All you can do is try and give her a few days and see how it goes.

She's a cute little thing.
Yep.

Thanks. I'll definitely update on her progress. She's going to start treatment today.

Back
Top Bottom