post your chicken coop pictures here!

We have a coop castle

Chicken coop is 12 1/2 X 8 & 1/2 ft with a notched out area (I call it their phone booth) that is 4ft X 5ft. Their phone booth area has a staggered roost type area and that's where the majority of the chickens roost at night. Outdoor attached run is 10 X 10. Large area is 50 X 70. Then the ducks have a pen about 12 X 7 with their open area of 50 X 25. We put up fishing line across the open area so we have no escapees. It's worked great so far. Our watering system is great, my husband designed it. 55 gallon drum with hose and water trough and float system. We opened up a small area on the duck pen so the ducks have access to the chicken water, but not too much access so they can't slop it around a make a huge mess.

For winter we put a water de-icer in the drum, wind a thermal heating cord around the water hose and then put a brooder light above the float. It makes it so we only have to fill up the drum a few times during the winter. I love this!

So far the entire set up works great. We've tweaked it quite a few times but right now it's great. I toss their mulch around every couple days and clean out the trough every few days (ducks still dirty it up). Because the pens are open but not drafty, the temps are not too horrible in the winter and there is rarely any bad smells ever. Actually I'm amazed at just how nice their areas do smell. I hate stinky smells but their pens just smell like feed and mulch. Guess it's cause they spend so much time outside and because they are more open.

Chicken coop is 12 1/2 X 8 & 1/2 ft with a notched out area (I call it their phone booth) that is 4ft X 5ft. Their phone booth area has a staggered roost type area and that's where the majority of the chickens roost at night. Outdoor attached run is 10 X 10. Large area is 50 X 70. Then the ducks have a pen about 12 X 7 with their open area of 50 X 25. We put up fishing line across the open area so we have no escapees. It's worked great so far. Our watering system is great, my husband designed it. 55 gallon drum with hose and water trough and float system. We opened up a small area on the duck pen so the ducks have access to the chicken water, but not too much access so they can't slop it around a make a huge mess.

For winter we put a water de-icer in the drum, wind a thermal heating cord around the water hose and then put a brooder light above the float. It makes it so we only have to fill up the drum a few times during the winter. I love this!

So far the entire set up works great. We've tweaked it quite a few times but right now it's great. I toss their mulch around every couple days and clean out the trough every few days (ducks still dirty it up). Because the pens are open but not drafty, the temps are not too horrible in the winter and there is rarely any bad smells ever. Actually I'm amazed at just how nice their areas do smell. I hate stinky smells but their pens just smell like feed and mulch. Guess it's cause they spend so much time outside and because they are more open.
OOohy I love th TP big time. I wanna build one for mine I need netting support and this would be an awesome way to do it. And the phone booth.... Love it all.

Thank you! The teepee was something we thought up because we had some trees that had fallen down on the property and I wanted to build more shelter/shade for the chickens. We laugh because they actually use it a lot! Almost every time I check on them there are anywhere from 3-7 chickens huddled in there. We never dreamt it would be such a hit!

The phone booth originally was the separate area for the guineas. But when they were grown and I opened the door to let them out, they automatically flew over the fence to be with the chickens. And, then they wouldn't leave! I tried two more times to get them out but I think they think they are chickens. So, we cut the wire between the phone booth and chicken coop to combine the entire area and then I put in a bunch of roosts. So, goes to show you a bunch of planning doesn't mean it's going to work out the way you think it will. Just go with the flow and the animals will let you know what they want! :D

Thank you! The teepee was something we thought up because we had some trees that had fallen down on the property and I wanted to build more shelter/shade for the chickens. We laugh because they actually use it a lot! Almost every time I check on them there are anywhere from 3-7 chickens huddled in there. We never dreamt it would be such a hit!

The phone booth originally was the separate area for the guineas. But when they were grown and I opened the door to let them out, they automatically flew over the fence to be with the chickens. And, then they wouldn't leave! I tried two more times to get them out but I think they think they are chickens. So, we cut the wire between the phone booth and chicken coop to combine the entire area and then I put in a bunch of roosts. So, goes to show you a bunch of planning doesn't mean it's going to work out the way you think it will. Just go with the flow and the animals will let you know what they want!
big_smile.png

I loved my guineas. I put in perches just for them that I Thought would be higher than the chickens could use... LOL several of the Bantam roos decided they wanted to be up with the rowdy kids... Worked well.

deb

Last edited:
LOL! Yes that's what I did too! I put one roost up really high for the "guineas" and then the chickens took it over. So I put another one up and then the guineas laid claim to that one. Over time the guineas have been trying to take over the other high roost again too!

Our Chicks like their new home
All made from wood pallets and metal roof from my hubby's job. His boss told him he can have as much wood or steel as he wants for free. We paid for hardware and screws and nails. The chicks are so happy. They played in the run for hours. Love how Piper is beginning to learn his name. Lol
I did all the painting and art work myself. Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom