post your chicken coop pictures here!

105481_blackberry_pics_069.jpg

Here is our coop modeled after the witchita kansas coop here on BYC

Does anyone have any ideas for a breeding pen pics would be help full I was thinking something like this

My breeding pens (double as brooder pens) are inside the main coop, but of course that doesn't work for all due to requirement of a very large coop, but it's something to consider if you are going to get into breeding... I'm also going to segment off a few more area of the coop into pens as needed... Because they are inside the coop they can be made really cheap as needed since there is no worries about security...

Last edited:
Well I have my brooder in the coop but and nice brooder and breeding pen outside like a chicken tractor about that size right there in ur pic so I can move them around all over the yard i was just asking because I am getting some silkies soon and I need to get some ideas to know what I want it to look like what size here are a few ideas that I have this one is my favorite

My breeding pens (double as brooder pens) are inside the main coop, but of course that doesn't work for all due to requirement of a very large coop, but it's something to consider if you are going to get into breeding... I'm also going to segment off a few more area of the coop into pens as needed... Because they are inside the coop they can be made really cheap as needed since there is no worries about security...

Are those kitty litter pans or just small plastic boxes with cut outs?
I put an old dog house in mine for any broody girls and an old dresser drawer for the others.

A tip for inside:

Build multiple levels to maximize square footage!

My fully enclosed raised stage provides over 100 extra square feet! I also use it to brood my chicks alongside the hens each spring. It has its own private door to a 100% enclosed run, safe for small Pullets just learning the ropes. It allows waist level interaction with the chicks, easy cleaning, and a full-world view for the babies to experience - not just 4 walls of a brooder of with some big hands towering in occasionally from above. It's perfect for brooding healthy hardy chicks.. I have found the chicks adjust way quicker as Pullets since they have been part of the flock all along.

The fully enclosed (inside and out) keeps the hens and predators out. This means I can provide separate feeds for the different age birds, more closely manage my flock, and allow my niece and nephew to play with the chicks by locking them inside the brooder (raised stage) WITH the chicks!!! They love it, just like a petting zoo - better than a petting zoo!

Note: I also added Vinyl panels ($10 per 4x8') to the walls for easy wipedown, and added vinyl to the base of the chick brooker/ stage to make it easy to clean and keep sanitary for young chicks!!!

Last edited:
A tip for inside:

Build multiple levels to maximize square footage!

My fully enclosed raised stage provides over 100 extra square feet! I also use it to brood my chicks alongside the hens each spring. It has its own private door to a 100% enclosed run, safe for small Pullets just learning the ropes. It allows waist level interaction with the chicks, easy cleaning, and a full-world view for the babies to experience - not just 4 walls of a brooder of with some big hands towering in occasionally from above. It's perfect for brooding healthy hardy chicks.. I have found the chicks adjust way quicker as Pullets since they have been part of the flock all along.

The fully enclosed (inside and out) keeps the hens and predators out. This means I can provide separate feeds for the different age birds, more closely manage my flock, and allow my niece and nephew to play with the chicks by locking them inside the brooder (raised stage) WITH the chicks!!! They love it, just like a petting zoo - better than a petting zoo!

This idea is amazing. I have limited space in my coop 8'x8'x6.5 tall barn coop but I can add something like this... I like the waist high brooder as well. I just read that many chicks run away because people place the brooder on the ground and come at the birds from the top. They see a predator not an owner. Hummmm.

Back
Top Bottom