post your chicken coop pictures here!

Ok how big of a coop should be big enough I am looking to spend under 200 dollars on a coop whether I have to build it or buy a metal tool shed I would like to have a coop that can house my 20 chickens and still have a little room to expand. Plus keep a brooder/ill bird box, and then the nesting boxes are going to be along one wall on the external boxes. I was thinking 8x10 and then I would also like to have a breeding pen built into the big coop but have there own separate run. Thanks if u would like please pm me and we can talk there but It doesn't really matter to me I can't wait to get a new coop even though the coop me and my dad built was only a few months ago and i only had 7 chickens and now I have 20 chicken math

Last edited:
Ok how big of a coop should be big enough I am looking to spend under 200 dollars on a coop whether I have to build it or buy a metal tool shed I would like to have a coop that can house my 20 chickens and still have a little room to expand. Plus keep a brooder/ill bird box, and then the nesting boxes are going to be along one wall on the external boxes. I was thinking 8x10 and then I would also like to have a breeding pen built into the big coop but have there own separate run. Thanks if u would like please pm me and we can talk there but It doesn't really matter to me I can't wait to get a new coop even though the coop me and my dad built was only a few months ago and i only had 7 chickens and now I have 20 chicken math

8x10 would be the recommend minimum for your 20 birds with little to no room to expand... Probably best to look into 10x12 or 12x12 if you plan to get more than 20 birds...

If you plan to build in breeding pens you will need more space, like a 12x12 or 12x14 or bigger...

$200 is a tight budget unless you score a lot of deals and/or free stuff...

Realistically you are probably looking at more like $400-$500 on the low end to setup a coop that size when you are done nickel and diming unless you get a lot of free stuff, then the run will cost more...

8x10 would put you at 80 sq feet, which is right at about the limit you would want for 20 chickens. If you're wanting to expand, you should go bigger, and perhaps keep your old coop as well if you can.

I don't even know what this city would do if it ever got that cold here LOL.  Thankfully it never snows because people don't even seem to drive too well in the rain :D

In El Paso it snowed once a season, usually only an inch or less. One year we got enough to see rabbit tracks so my brother and i went rabbit hunting with bow and arrow (we were young). We didnt even have winter coats down there. All we had for 3 years were spring jackets. (I was in 6th grade when we came home to Michigan)

In Fredricksburg one time it just frosted and cars were sliding all over the place. I wore cowboy boots on that trip and couldnt keep my footing on the brick pavement. I know they get snow now and then but not like we do.

Here is my layout for 22 including 4 turkeys and it looks a little crowded to me but is in the suggested ball park. The coop is 9x16x12 high which includes a 4' work area so they get 9x12. The run is 9x32x12. You wont build this for $200 but some have used free lumber to do amazing things.

I don't even know what this city would do if it ever got that cold here LOL.

It's amazing how little it effects areas that are used to it but how greatly it effects areas where it's rare...

I live in just South of the Wisconsin border in Illinois, so extreme Northern Illinois... For us 1"-6" of snow is an annoyance, 6"-12" and some schools might start to close if the roads are not clear, but most places and schools will still be open if the roads are clear, this is highly dependent on the time of day it snows, overnights being the worst as they don't like to pay the plow truck drivers overtime... It's not until it gets into the 12" plus range that things really start to slow down but even then most things keep chugging along just slower... Same with cold weather, until it gets into the -20°F or colder nothing really changes, schools start to close in about that -20°F range but everything else keeps rolling along...

But in stark contrast, if you head to Southern Illinois or just a little further South, even a forecast for 1" of snow can cause schools to start proactively closing and people to stay home...

It's also amazing to see the differences in the way people drive in snow and cold, my daily driver until I had kids, was a Corvette and I would drive it snow, sleet, extreme cold or whatever and never ditched it or got stuck, yet there is no shortage of out of area all wheel drive or 4x4 SUVs that spin out in the snow... Not saying the Corvette was the best vehicle for the weather and it had it's limits but it was functional, and contrary to popular belief they do have heaters and wipers :p Heck back in my younger days I even drove my motorcycle year round as long as the roads were fairly clear...

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pics of there coop that is around the size of a 8x10 I would like to know what it looks like on the inside and out but either works so I know how much space I have or if I need to go smaller or larger

Back
Top Bottom